litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Honda Engine Elise Build

danwebster

Some of it does Martin, although you could say the same about highly tuned engines.

Flywheels, batterys, back boxes, fuel tanks, engine mounts, pulleys, wheels can all offer useful weight savings without too much compromise - carbon seats too if you have pads you can fit for touring and take out for track.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a virtuous circle, the lighter everything is the better it performs. If I were to make the car 10% lighter I would have 10% better performance, 10% better brakes etc. Then you don't need bigger brakes, bigger wheels etc...which just adds weight!

The new engine will be a good deal lighter than the old one too...

Some of it does Martin, although you could say the same about highly tuned engines.

Flywheels, batterys, back boxes, fuel tanks, engine mounts, pulleys, wheels can all offer useful weight savings without too much compromise - carbon seats too if you have pads you can fit for touring and take out for track.

Thats what i meant by the obvious. I have done most of them        :)

Thats what i meant by the obvious. I have done most of them        :)

I know! it makes me jealous! :-)

Mine is pretty light at 750 kilos on fumes but I would love to do the flywheel, pulley and engine mounts although only with a full balance as you have done. I love mods that save weight (especially at the back of the car where it needs it most) but improve something else at the same time e.g throttle response or engine weight transfer.

Dan how come the new engine will be lighter? is it a different type?

Lightweight billet crank is several kilos lighter than standard, as are the rods and pistons. Billet throttle body manifold probably a quarter of the weight of the plenum etc...small savings everywhere that will hopefully add up to something significant. 

Lightweight billet crank is several kilos lighter than standard, as are the rods and pistons. Billet throttle body manifold probably a quarter of the weight of the plenum etc...small savings everywhere that will hopefully add up to something significant.

nice!

:-)

Should rev nice and quick then? Not that the Hondas dont anyway     :)

• 11 months later...
As I stand here eating my cheese and beans toastie I think its time to finally start updating this thread...

After the most difficult 18 months of my life I'm finally starting to do something with my elise. I took it apart in October '14 with big plans to improve it and then trying to run a business got in the way. A lot of people say to me 'I bet you don't have time to work on your own car now' but unfortunately that has never been the issue....it turns out running a business AND making money is quite tricky...if I had the money to do what I wanted with my car i'd make the time!

Well 18 months later things are finally looking a little more promising and it was finally time to bring my baby back in from exile...

01212ECD-8CAF-4901-97DA-0D3D93741A6E_zps

In fact I had a lovely day on easter sunday having a general tidy up and getting organised...

F8495E58-15C9-4C8E-A669-FAFED821D605_zps

If any of you saw the build thread for Ste's car on seloc (http://forums.seloc.org/viewthread.php?tid=394030) then you'll already have an idea of what I want to achieve with mine. It turns out that we're pretty like minded in many ways and he has a knack of stealing my thoughts before i've told any one. 

So the target for my car is sub 700 kilos and 300hp. I'd like to see it significantly under 700kg's but we'll see about that. To get the power i'm about to start building a proper screaming N/A motor for it, for which I got my hands on the first piece of the jigsaw today....some very trick con rods with smaller big ends for added lightness ;)

CF3AFF43-63F9-4E55-BF14-B9A58986864C_zps

In the next couple of weeks the car will be going away to get a nice lightweight roll cage built, in the mean time i'm getting busy with the dremel on anything thats not structural...

A061D432-48BD-4A0F-9E1E-15E77FAB0AF1_zps

Good luck ! Promising. Can I ask where is the dark elise with lots of stickers from ? I thnk I have seen it parked around the corner on a trailer one night in Leamington.

Looks like Walshys old one.

Archived