litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

How To Fit A Vvc Engine To A Standard K Series S2

DeanB

Gav sent me a video of the new engine running in the car at tea time. Result! It started first time and the tappets filled up and quietened down quickly - so far so good!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gav sent me a video of the new engine running in the car at tea time. Result! It started first time and the tappets filled up and quietened down quickly - so far so good!

Gav spoils you lot, he really does      :)

Gav spoils you lot, he really does      :)

He does doesn't he?! :-)

Marie complained to him that I never want videos sending of her when she's away which is true but there are only so many videos of women drinking prosecco you can watch aren't there?

They do look rather nice Martin but I've already fitted my lower mount now ;-)

And I can assure anyone that the following statement, taken from the EP website, is more than just optimistic... 'Supplied complete with new 12mm locknut it takes under 1/2 hr to fit and less if changing the exhaust manifold anyway'.

You obviously need to remove the undertray for a start plus the driver's side rear wheel to gain access to one of the nuts.

Having done that, you then encounter this:-

IMG_20160507_153758467_HDR_zps4hi7utly.j

You can't remove one of the bolts without having first removed the exhaust link pipe :rolleyes:

With the link pipe removed things become much easier:-

IMG_20160507_155911370_zpsptqt4iyy.jpg

A couple of photos comparing the old and new mounts:-

IMG_20160507_160342378_zpsf3wdcoln.jpg

IMG_20160507_160428913_HDR_zpsp76hhver.j

You can see in the above photo that the new mount on the left has a solid rubber bush so will be more resilient to movement.

I adjusted the new mount to the same length as the old one and fitted it without any further issue. I just had to lever the engine into position, to align the bolt holes, using a length of wood:-

IMG_20160507_165018295_zpsn3voyq1c.jpg

In hindsight I ought to have cleaned and painted that sump bracket whilst I was at it :lol:  Maybe I'll get round to that when I next have the undertray off.

I've driven about 50 miles with it fitted and there's a definite difference. The engine is far more stable when on and off the power and it does seem to make the gear changes smoother as a result. There is an increase in vibration though, mostly at idle so it might not be to everyones taste. You can feel the vibration coming through the seat and sometimes see a vibration in the rear view mirror, but it's by no means excessive and a compromise I'm willing to live with.

Note to EP and others:  Real world time for fitment:- Circa 3 hours B)

I fitted one to my s2 today and I didn't need to remove the link pipe I had plenty of clearance which was a welcome surprise it took me 2 hours to do including an oil and filter change. Way off EPs mark.

Just got the gearbox tapered bush to do what is the best way to get to the nut -rear wheel off an arch liner out?

So I have her back!!

Totally thrilled with it to be honest. As well as fitting the 135R engine Gav serviced the car (Inc brake fluid and new coolant), MOTd it and fitted a new head gasket (precautionary as it was still on the original and old style gasket), timing belt, plugs, Fuchs Pro Race R engine oil and Fuchs synthetic gear oil (thanks Graeme Laslett) and new AP clutch. Oh and the Eliseparts adjustable lower engine mount. And some anti rattle buffers for the front brakes.

He did all of that in 9 days having taken the car in at very short notice with other jobs to fit it in around. As usual with Gav the bill was very fair - a bargain really. He is a top top chap and I am very grateful to him. Thanks again Gav!

First impressions of the car are:

The clutch feels lovely and light

The gearchange feels nicer

There is a teeny bit of nvh on tick over from the stiffer engine mount but not so bad as to be annoying

Getting rid of the horrendous front pad rattle is a blessed relief!

The tick over is a bit lumpy which sounds gnarly :-)

At very low revs there isn't much torque (reminds me of Russ' Sport 190)

Mid range and top end feel A LOT stronger than before even with the 135 cams in. I think I had lost a lot of power with the old engine towards the end though

It sounds even more rootin' tootin'

So far then, so bloody brilliant!

Archived