Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jonnyfox

Exige S1 Restoration (images changed).

Recommended Posts

So I've finished refurbishing the rear Brembo's. I'm really pleased with the results, they look brand new! In fact I cleaned them so well they've magicked up four brand new wheel arch liners, I couldn't believe my luck.

35712715955_26711c132d_c.jpg

35582013221_220ba24363_c.jpg

35712714325_744497cf86_c.jpg

35544109272_e760311152_c.jpg

Ok so I may have part exchanged them :D I'm actually really glad I did.

Edited by jonnyfox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

£250 +VAT + 4 PX's though Jody. I was refurbing the S2 ones in the pictures, the S1 brakes were proper Manky, had them as well. Lotus and DeRoure quoted £288+VAT each. SJ Sports Cars (Steve) was a pleasure to deal with. Wheel arch liners are excellent.

 

I have also sold my refurbed drive shafts and bought new OE from Dave @ Seriously Lotus. Oh and I've sold the PF pads and bought Pagids off him too, the TMRs can do without the skag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers Jonny, just weighting my options up on a re build myself or some kind of exchange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So after a few months off time to get back on the job. Ideally I'd like the car back on its wheels, sills and interior painted and back together by Easter.

Armed with some off cuts of 1.5mm PVC and 3M Surface cleaner I got to work. I saw that the sill covers were bonded to the chassis with 3m VHB tape while helping Ben. I use this at work. So I sharpened one end of the PVC of cuts and pushed the desired piece under the sill cover (all my weight) about an inch at a time along the length of the top then along the side. And off they came, not a single mark either, spotless! The surface cleaner does a good job of removing firstly the foam on top of the tape then the adhesive. It's messy, there's soggy adhesive everywhere but it works.

No idea what the stuff was under the seats, mega bonded to the base the PVC just wouldn't lift it. Actually it was quite brittle so I gentle used a clean scraper and mallet to lift and snap a piece off bit at a time. Next out came the vac, more 3M surface cleaner followed by toothpaste, a brush and a magic cloth (type thing via Halfords). Haven't done the footwells yet, will do them and the bottom dash panel when it comes back from paint.

35672787716_59d437204e_c.jpg

35325141220_8c51fe8255_c.jpg

34870847174_6ce598a631_c.jpg

35712087855_2f4ac141bf_c.jpg

35543471082_27948c9734_c.jpg

35712086385_701786e99d_c.jpg

34902769653_dcaa1eae55_c.jpg

34902767603_3ea6b13099_c.jpg

35712083935_f7e24f68b5_c.jpg

34902765953_bfb0f04059_c.jpg

35325123250_8a57080e12_c.jpg

35672792766_91c80e0df2_c.jpg

35325129520_8fa7bcd3ce_c.jpg

34902763193_98909e0bca_c.jpg

35672788796_11232ce501_c.jpg

34902761503_0bdac3ed58_c.jpg

35672785056_5fa58ba715_c.jpg

34870832314_d93fee8887_c.jpg

35672780016_3fc75d8ca9_c.jpg

35672778006_fefd3c36c8_c.jpg

35672782316_8cd96929eb_c.jpg

35672773836_0f9c2f3a56_c.jpg

Next out with the interior.  The coin trays I had to get an electrical screwdriver in from the side pushing through the bond front to back. Using those handy PVC panels I slide one under and hammered away with a mallet. The PVC proved brilliant once more not marking the chassis. Off it popped! The top vents came out really easy as well using a cable tie to hook around one of the three clips inside the vent, the Dobbo technique. That's as much will come out, the outer part is riveted in although I am considering removing the windscreen.

35543446142_8f0bd651f3_c.jpg

35581391371_0f8a4b7c7c_c.jpg

35543444852_f1d7c9eae3_c.jpg

35581390731_a2929860cb_c.jpg

34870813844_68307ac616_c.jpg

35543443732_b9c282e6fc_c.jpg

34870819614_63fc4d4df0_c.jpg

35543441062_c4ba2fa8cc_c.jpg

34870818254_a87e16d6cd_c.jpg

34870817024_2cf02bc633_c.jpg

35581386831_6db004f999_c.jpg

34870815554_df3550eeeb_c.jpg

35325102940_2e367a56f9_c.jpg

Edited by jonnyfox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Half car of the day :-) Will just need an engine and body panels. But hopefully it'll be look neat and tidy if not in the buff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers. Just had confirmation the sills and interior are being painted w/c 25th. Same week as the retrim. Once that's done I'll buy a FEV extinguisher and plumb that in desreetly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking really good, Could you fit in a new exige 350 gear selector mechanism !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm fantastic.  Next time I'm in Sutton (and you're around) I love to pop in and see this.  I'll be totally depressed when I get back to mine mind :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use