litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Body Work Progress On Elsie

kayj_prod

I didn't know there was an alternative! standard mirrors.

I'll post pics tomorrow... Hopefully I'll have a smile on my face as she's ready for her MOT in the morning. Now off outside to fit the windows.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I still have yet to fit the windows. I ended up doing some odd jobs and then found the horn didn't work. This is of course. AFTER fitting the front clam. Then I find the bolts for the front undertray are seized!

Of course, a non-functioning horn is an MOT failure, whereas lack of windows isn't.

My fault entirely; when I fitted my new air horn in place of the weedy old one, I hadn't quite pushed the spade connector on securely enough, and it had simply come off. An easy fix, but getting to it took hours!

Anyway, she flew through her MOT this morning. Turns out tracking can be miles off and can still pass. I could barely do 20mph on the trip to/from the garage as the rear was so far off. I did some very rough measurements back at home and made some adjustment, then took her to the Bush monkeys this afternoon. Er, 10degrees out!

I then attempted to get road tax before realising that with no roof or windows, if I bought a parking ticket, I might still end up with a fine if it blew away or some oik reached in.

So windows are the main item on tomorrows agenda, as well as finally fitting the drivers door correctly. I've adjusted the passenger side, but the drivers side isn't reliably catching.

Sunday afternoon and I completed the window install. What a PITA. As I expected, getting the third nut on the window mounting points was the single most awkward job. Getting the little nut off was tricky, but getting it back on...? I will be happy to never do anything with a window again.

Anyway, here are some photos of my work over the last week from rolling her out naked on Saturday morning to completion.

gallery_3273_841_1210518.jpg

gallery_3273_841_1749256.jpg

gallery_3273_841_378858.jpg

gallery_3273_841_633472.jpg

gallery_3273_841_1715184.jpg

gallery_3273_841_1449097.jpg

gallery_3273_841_1934512.jpg

Just like to thank everyone for advice along the way. Couldn't have done it without knowing I could look through other peoples' past threads or just ask a question, regardless of how dumb.

Now... to stripe or not to stripe...

I'm kind of thinking you're both right. If I were to stripe, it would be a club sport style with a single wide central stripe and two thin stripes either side... in black. Even if I can remove the stripe, it would be a big waste if I don't like it. Right now, its just great being able to drive her again. Can't wait to give her a proper run on Sunday to the geo day.

I shall be watching my temperatures, but she did 20 minutes yesterday and settled at 82deg on the stack with no gurgling or blown hoses, so I'm hoping that means I've done a good job with my PRT and coolant.

Archived