litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Nlc - Lister Bell Stratos Build Thread

Dr H

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Timbo - thanks for the suggestion of the tensioner. A discussion with the engine builder and some you tubing reinforced this.

Steve - certainly are some very helpful people around. Restores your faith in society, when the news is full of stories showing how horrible people can be!

So after the cambelt tensioning hiccup, all back together and all seems good.

44623982231_05095aa0a7_b.jpg

It will now start (albeit pretty ropey as we only got chance to set it up to fire up before we got the noise that made us stop). No noises, not even tappets.

All the dash gauges work, the oil pressure and ECU lights I added both function. Even my push button start system works as it should.

Not run it for long at all but no signs of any coolant or oil leaks. After firing up I see about 6.5 bar oil pressure within about 5 secs.

I need to make some custom brackets for the wiring loom, drawings now done and off to the laser cutter tomorrow. Wiring chap will be back soon to finish things off as there are a few small mods needed.

Once the loom is finished and the ITBs balanced etc. then the loom brackets and clips can all be fitted to tidy things up and the air filter can go on and that's that on the engine front for the time being! Pending no leaks or issues once we've got it up to temp for the first time.

Going in the right direction!

8 hours ago, Steve J said:

That's a weird looking cat Leigh if even it is a cat? 

Cat?- what the furry thing we got a few weeks ago that keeps killing the local wildlife and bringing it into the house?

If you mean catalytic converter, there are 2 on the car - one inside each silencer. Nice neat solution.

Yep the 'cross piece' has he lambda in it. Both manifolds feed into that point and it's a pre-cat sensor. The engine is 1998 and so only Euro 2. Known as a CF2 Alfa V6. The following year they became CF3s and had cats on the manifolds and 2 lambdas, and a but less power because of it.

I'm using a Bosch 4.9 lsu wideband sensor which is the type OEMs use on modern cars. The ECU has a build in wideband controlled.

It's quite a way in front of the cats (which are in the silencers) but seem to work OK as cars get through IVA, which is basically an MOT emissions test.

Nearly there Leigh, after such an epic build and so many challenges over come.

can not wait to see it in the flesh.

and if the 1st post on this thread is a true marker it has been a 3 year journey almost to the day 👍

7 hours ago, Steve J said:

Ah that's why it didn't look like a cat because it isn't.  Never heard of them being part of the silencer design.  :)

Yep I'e never seen it before either.

The wiring loom I've had made has an extra (spare) lambda connector in it. So at a later date I can change the setup to a lambda for each bank of cylinders and get better control if needed.

Archived