litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Nlc - Lister Bell Stratos Build Thread

Dr H

Fuel pump and lines tested and (after a false start) leak free! Although the garage did smell of fuel for a while! But it continued to seal of fuel for days. Finally worked out it was the fuel level sender. Gasket seemed to be allowing fuel vapours out and really was stinking the garage out. Worked out it was this by sticking blue tack around the top of the sender were the seal is and left it overnight. Went into the garage this morning and there was no petrol smell. 

Have nipped up the bolts on it but if that doesn't work I need to replace the gasket/seal. Trouble is if I need to replace it, that means the sender needs completely removing and that necessitates the tank removing....:(, I will know by the morning.

Last Sunday I drained the coolant system down for about the 8th time......and remade the joints I could see were still leaking. 48 hours still drip free! clp.gif . Was still dry last night. Just been out to the garage and there are now 2 puddles under it again, probably worse than before beat.gif. I really am at a loss now.

Have filled the oil system fully and fitted the filter. Turned over the engine by hand and all seems OK. Oil seems to be reaching the heads which is good.

Fitting of wiring loom and engine start was planned for last week but put back to unavoidable circumstances so it's now supposed to be on Wed. Will post up a video if it happens. Even if it explodes I'll still post it 
:rolleyes:

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like you're having a proper nightmare with the coolant system, presumably these leaks are occurring without it even being pressurised too?

Do you know precisely where it's leaking from or has it been a different place each time?

Same place Phil. New silicone hoses, new aluminum pipes ad the original (aqua-blasted and cleaned) thermostat housing. Leaks from the hose attached to the housing and other hose / pipe connections.

No idea why it stays dry for almost a week and then starts all of a sudden. Way back these joints were dry for weeks and then started leaking for no apparent reason.

And the loom fitting / start has just been postponed again. Chap doing it has had a death in the family and need to attend the funeral etc and is then out of the country until first week in Sept.

Sorry if this is stating the obvious but is it not just that the silicon hoses are compressing over time and losing the seal? Could it be that the hose clips just need tightening a little more once they've bedded in?

You've not had much luck with the loom either by the sounds of things, hopefully it will all come together for you before much longer :unsure:

I have tried keep nipping them up, because as you say when new they sometimes need to bed in a bit. But I'm pretty much out of adjustment now - they are tight as they will go!

Wiring and start now booked in for 10th Sept and plan is that it goes for body fit the week after.

47 minutes ago, The Cakes said:

I’ll throw something out there and say it’s the clips. I remember years ago my father had a similar problem and we sorced ‘different’ clips and hey presto. 

Yes I did wonder that too, maybe try some Mikalor clips?

2 hours ago, The Cakes said:

How about the silicone hoses? Have you tried sticking bog standard rubber on there? 

Can't get some of the hoses in rubber as they are not the Alfa ones. One is a reducer that I can't find in rubber. Silicone ones should work though!

Archived