litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

What Do You Think....

scatty

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also tentatively in the market for a big powered Elise / Exige.  What stops me considering this is its Exige money but ultimately its an Elise, so am I going to feel a big depreciation hit?  Will I enjoy the steadily increasing prices that I'm getting with an Exige, would this be exempt from that?

If this was in the lower twenties then I'd be tempted to go and have a look.

All this is just my opinions and my concerns over this car, not based on fact at all  :D

Mrs Scatty has just seen a yellow s1 exige over on exige's...

She seems to think that's the one...... Ha ha ha ha I didn't know she had such good taste...... :-)

the s1s aren't smaller but have higher sills so not good for you really mate. Plus Liz is right i'm sure about how hot they get. You aren't planning on using it everyday are you?

Course I am..... :-)

Altho it's more than likely il get a shitbox for the winter...

Saying that, the thought of two lots of insurance and road tax makes we shudder.....maybe we were seperated at birth Dean.... :-)

Hot? I've worked in 66 deg Celcius heat in the Middle East, and that's hot. That said I felt somewhat hotter in my S1 Exige last summer whilst lost in the middle of a traffic ridden Le Mans with 30 degree ambient temperatures! I really was concentrating on that temperature gauge...

I'll be honest Scatty, you've gotta have flex to get in (but we're only in our 40's, so generally ok), but the I'm looking through the very top of the screen. I lose the horizon frequently on undulating roads, and wearing a helmet puts me in a very awkward position. In that respect, motorsport seats really aren't ideal!

I reckon the S1 Exige would be a better investment if you didn't use it that much. Use it a lot, put miles on it and it;s value will drop. People will pay big money for low mileage examples but I think high miles on them uts a lot of people off.

IMHO the Honda will be a more useable and reliable daily drive. Things will wear out because of the big power but not that quickly. If you track it a lot them yes it will wear out stuff quicker but on the road you can;t really use an SC CC Honda to anywhere near it's potential. You'll either get locked up or taken away in a ambulance.

Honda conversions have been around long enough for any issues to be sortable pretty easily now. Lots of people know where the weak points are and how to deal with them. If you have a good base conversion (which Dan's old car is) then you should be OK. Gav looks after mine and it's no more complex than a normal Elise really (although he might argue about that!). For example, recently the bearing for the SC belt tensioner was making a noise. Took it to Gav's and within 30 mins he'd got it off, gone next door, got a replacement bearing and fitted it all back together. No need to go and buy an new tensioner pulley for £70.

The S1 Exige will be great and give a great sense of occasion when you drive it. You'll also be able to feel like you are getting closer to the limits on the road. It's the same as the 340R really. I find the 340R is probably more 'fun' to drive and I prefer the noise to my Honda. It's nowhere near as fast though. The Honda is more refined and if I want to I can scare myself shitless.

I've got an agreed insurance valuation on My S2 of £30k. Not sure if I'd get that if I sold it but it's also nowhere near what it would cost to get a car to the same spec. I reckon Dan's old car isn't too mad price wise but probably a bit expensive.

The S1 Exige, S2 Honda and 260 Cup will all be very different cars.

I think an s1 exige would be too impractical really.. I intend to want to use it daily bar the awful weather ...

The lads just emailed me asking if I was interested. I said I was but the price was an issue due to what it is... I think I'd probably pay £24 £25k tops but want gav to inspect it first...even that's slightly over priced I think...

I think we are way off what we both want it for, I think he's trying to get £26k ish for it. Il give it a few weeks and see if its still there... I've not seen anything else I like yet...

I suppose its a waiting game, the worst thing I did was going for a ride in it. ;-) big mistake...

Spoke to gavalar yesterday and got his views and opinions.

It depends how bad he wants to sell it... I know he's being greedy though....

I used an S2 Exige as a daily for 9 months, that was ok, actually missed it when I got the second car, ust depend on the  brain/pertrol ratio in your head. But I did not have to park on tight or dodgy area, that could be a  problem sometime ...

I used my previous everyday , no real dramas... The only crap point was getting in and out of it once in the garage...

I've never been one for practical or sensible.....:-)

(The only crap point was getting in and out of it once in the garage...)

i solved this issue by having children and now my 12 year old puts mine in the garage for me....seriously, he's way more agile than me !!

he is learning to drive via "young drivers", and is pretty decent, 3 point turns, roundabouts etc. he's even driven a 348 as a treat for doing well in his exams, no dual controls, with a guy on an airfield !!. i haven't even driven a fezzer.

i honestly think you would be better with a 240-260 lotus sorted car, with your car swapping tendencies, I'm having same debate with my self at the mo, over SC my na exige to give it some extra zing, but probably know it would be more sensible to sell and by a car already done as when i come to sell it will be an easier process,

either way, its a nice dilemma to be in smile.png

rich

Archived