Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Suspension Advice Please

DeanB

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gents,

What media did you use to blast the hubs, wishbones, steering arms etc? I've got the front stripped now, and will be getting a guy in our village to push out the bearings (fronts already done), and blast the crusty bits. 

Jody, would you have a set of struts I could borrow to get the rear hub nuts off please? 

Cheers,

Kurt

Kurt

The S1 Exige is aluminuim,k front and steel rear hubs isn't it? Same as the 340R?

Wishbones and steel hub etc. I'd go eith normal shot blasting. Had mine done and powder coated at a local place and they did a top job. f you are replacing the bushes in the wishbones I'd leave them in whilst they blast it. Stops the inner surfaces getting a blasting and possibly going very slightly oversize.

As the for aluminuim bits I'm not sure. Something nice and kind - soda maybe? Again I'd be very careful in protecting the bits that the bearings push into. Also, you need to ensure the bearing is pressed in (and out) absolutely dead square. Apparently it's easy to knacker the hub if you don't get it right.

Kurt

The S1 Exige is aluminuim,k front and steel rear hubs isn't it? Same as the 340R?

Wishbones and steel hub etc. I'd go eith normal shot blasting. Had mine done and powder coated at a local place and they did a top job. f you are replacing the bushes in the wishbones I'd leave them in whilst they blast it. Stops the inner surfaces getting a blasting and possibly going very slightly oversize.

As the for aluminuim bits I'm not sure. Something nice and kind - soda maybe? Again I'd be very careful in protecting the bits that the bearings push into. Also, you need to ensure the bearing is pressed in (and out) absolutely dead square. Apparently it's easy to knacker the hub if you don't get it right.

Leigh,

Yes the hubs are alloy front and steel rear. I've already managed to get the fronts all pressed out and will start stripping the back soon. Sadly I've already pressed the front wishbone bushes out but will keep the rears in, following your advice, thank you. I'll get the fronts soda blasted then, and good old sand for the rest. I'm dead chuffed the man in the truck garage in my village can do it all! 

Cheers,

Kurt

The Nitron Street Series went on today so will post my initial thoughts in a day or two.

BTW there were two VHPD cars at Gav's today - and they weren't Leigh's, Russ' or Martin's

so Marie took the elise to work yesterday with the NSS on and it is fair to say she HATED it. She said it felt like the car was falling apart, it was really uncomfortable and so on.

Make no mistake it is a good bit firmer than standard.

On the way home today though there was an opportunity to indulge in a bit of sports motoring and it felt bloody great.

Ha ha ha ha,

Did you just gently "pat" your car and tell it, she just doesn't understand...

Oh, just me who talks to their car then.... :-(

yes! I told her (the elise that is) to pay no attention, she doesn't understand you, she will probably think differently in a day or two when the blood stops flowing, really she is lovely and would never do anything to hurt your feeings etc etc

The Nitron Street Series went on today so will post my initial thoughts in a day or two.

BTW there were two VHPD cars at Gav's today - and they weren't Leigh's, Russ' or Martin's

Wash your mouth out     :)    If it ends up at Gavs i will have destroyed it.

wrong Martin sorry!

One was a blue s2 Sport 190

The other was a silver 340r

Was it a pale metalic blue 190 ? 

If so he came to Chatsworth a couple of years ago and also came on the factory tour to Hethel, It has only done a few k miles IIRC.

Archived