litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Honda Engine Elise Build

danwebster

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another one of those days where you don't feel like you did a lot but actually get a lot done.

When I removed the headlights from the clam yesterday the threads on the retaining pins / adjusters on both sides were badly rusted and I was worried there were going to break as I removed them, thankfully they didn't. If you've never looked under there, you've got three M5 threaded pins bonded into the clam and the headlights are held on those with nylon wingnuts which also adjust the direction of the headlight.

Before reassembling I ran a die down each of the pins and a tap through the wingnuts, then greased it all up with plenty of copperslip. Whereas before I had pretty much no adjustment of the headlights (it took copious amounts of penetrating fluid, wire brush and grips to get them off) everything is now silky smooth. If you ever find yourself bored one weekend with nothing to do then i'd recommend this little job, as when it comes to MOT time you'll be cursing these adjusters if your lights aren't pointing in the right direction.

I'd also removed the headlight covers to paint behind them. They were stuck on with copious amounts of sticky black stuff like glazing silicone, non setting stuff that gets everywhere. Once I'd removed all of that and cleaned them up I refitted them using the trick i've used on both of my previous cars - Velcro!

So, with the front end back in one piece it was time to bolt it back on to the car for the first time since last november....

null_zps13724b94.jpg

I then set about replacing the old waist seals on the doors with a new pair from EliseShop. Thats a hideous job if ever there was one. I took the windows out to do it, I'm not sure you could do it any other way. Still, looks 100 times better now.

null_zps40d9b4b6.jpg

null_zps79e91b79.jpg

There was a picture of Gav(thekevlarkid)'s 160 that pretty much convinced me to go for this colour rather than black again, here's my homage to it....thanks Gav!

null_zps6f5ed075.jpg

Dean, I will if I've got enough left after doing the rear clam...

I made the mistake of keeping a spreadsheet going of all the expenditure to date...it's not been cheap but hopefully it'll be worth it.

Looking great Dan. I need to get these next two weeks out of the way then rebuild mine :-)

Edit, if you do the inside of the doors you'll have to change the V5, if you don't you can keep it as is.

Dan I have just checked and your name is not down on the MLOC@Chatsworth2013 rsvp list!! That can't be! Your thread is the most viewed on MLOC. You know what this means - your public needs you there!

Get signed up!

we want to see your car

we want to see your car

we want to see your car

and so on.......

Dan - stick your name down on the rsvp list now, if for no other reason than you would be number 69! You can always pull out later. Better that way for the organisers (i.e me) to plan numbers etc. A sudden, unexpected surge in attendees at the last minute will throw a big spanner in the works....

Dean

It's 95% complete now I'd say, we're not going to make it to the rollers this week but there's a good reason for that so I'm not disappointed...all will be revealed in due course.

This morning I've been replacing all the undertray fittings at the front with stainless cap heads, you'll never see them but it makes me feel better :D

Also fitting the new boot floor:

null_zps8dbd576d.jpg

I've done the geo as well, conservatively set all four corners to zero toe for now :D

Rear clam almost there...

null_zps1f0daf5d.jpg

I don't think I'm going to have enough dip left to do the spoiler....might leave it off, can't decide.

Archived