litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S1 Type 49 Elise Refresh

Badger02

Are those calipers really black?  OEM they are a fairly dull brownish colour, although EP do offer a black version of the AP caliper.  I think the Brembos were a slightly more grey shade, but hard to be sure and after 25 years they look a very similar brownish-grey.

1 hour ago, Lithopsian said:

Are those calipers really black?  OEM they are a fairly dull brownish colour, although EP do offer a black version of the AP caliper.  I think the Brembos were a slightly more grey shade, but hard to be sure and after 25 years they look a very similar brownish-grey.

I agree,  the silver highlights and identical  black caliper bolts might indicate they've been painted before

I broke my calipers in half before painting and had good results using e tech XHT.  Bonus danger factor of curing them in the oven when boss lady had gone out 👍 easy to rebuild using EP kit.

Keep up the good work !

Posted (edited)

I've removed the paint from the 1st one and it's a dark grey casting.

I've also ordered the same paint you mentioned.

I'm assuming when you put them in the oven, you removed the pistons 1st (I wasn't planning on doing a rebuild) ?

I tried splitting it but the loctite was beyond me, think the only way would be to apply a lot of heat 1st, so I'm not planning on splitting them.

Edited by Badger02

After thinking it over (for right or wrong), for the wishbones I've decided on 1. Electrox zinc plating using the BH product 2. Hammerite special metals primer 3. Hammerite gold top coat

3 hours ago, MrWill said:

I agree,  the silver highlights and identical  black caliper bolts might indicate they've been painted before

I broke my calipers in half before painting and had good results using e tech XHT.  Bonus danger factor of curing them in the oven when boss lady had gone out 👍 easy to rebuild using EP kit.

Keep up the good work !

£60 + vat from EP per caliper for a rebuild kit, wasn't planning to do this anyway so will pass, but thanks for the heads up anyway

Fyi, and it's only what I've read, but a post from Bilt Hamber company some years ago was that powder coating gets a bad press for peeling/stonechip resistant but that's because people don't apply an etch primer 1st.

No idea if this is true or not, but sharing anyway, I'll let you make your own minds up :)

1 hour ago, Badger02 said:

I've removed the paint from the 1st one and it's a dark gray casting.

I've also ordered the same paint you mentioned.

I'm assuming when you put them in the oven, you removed the pistons 1st (I wasn't planning on doing a rebuild) ?

I tried splitting it but the loctite was beyond me, think the only way would be to apply a lot of heat 1st, so I'm not planning on splitting them.

Yes I'd halved them and removed the pistons for painting and curing. But they air dry perfectly and can be cured on the car once the car is built via some bedding in of brake pads / discs 👍

6 minutes ago, MrWill said:

Yes I'd halved them and removed the pistons for painting and curing. But they air dry perfectly and can be cured on the car once the car is built via some bedding in of brake pads / discs 👍

Thanks. My plan is to cover the pistons with masking tape, fill the threaded holes with tissue paper, paint and then just let air dry.

1st caliper painted and baked in oven

I removed the pistons, springs and seals 1st.

Not a fantastic result I'd say, but ok for my 1st attempt and a lot better than the condition it was in. Think I will do more coats on the next one.

Will replace the piston seals with a new set

20240106_161854.jpg

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MG4Lotus said:

Hope you can still get all the bushes and bearings into the holes after all the coatings have bee applied. 😃

Good point, however only the zinc spray will be applied to the bearing surfaces. I'll install the bushes and ball joints before applying the hammerite is my plan which I didn't mention in previous post

• Like 1

• Badger02 changed the title to S1 Type 49 Elise Refresh