litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S1 Type 49 Elise Refresh

Badger02

And so the winter refresh of my S1 Elise started today. Hoping to take front clam of tomorrow. However of the 4 lower bolts that hold the lower rear to the chassis, 2 are spinning and 2 won't budge despite copious amounts of penetrative oil over the last few months. The Eagle eyed will spot my Dremel tool which I'm not looking forward to using to remove 4 bolt heads that have limited access.

Currently on my list are replacing the driving lights brackets, shot blast and paint the tow post, new front badge, replace all fluids, replacing leaking drivers side transmission seal, shotblast and paint the wishbones

Probably change the radiator to, and fix/replace whatever nasties I find with the clam of.

20231119_193926.jpg

Edited by Badger02
  • Like 1

Looks like a big project matey. I love the 'go faster stripe' on your garage floor 😉.

I dont know if any of these parts are of interest to you. He's a 'friend of a friend' who came to our house on several occasions to measure up on SWMBO's S1 Type 49. They're made in the home Stainless Steel, so will be top quality. https://jordanengineering.co.uk/

Looking forward to seeing more piccies of your progress.

Edited by Mutley00

3 hours ago, Lithopsian said:

Dremel?

Not for the clam. Managed to remove the shims which gave enough wriggle room to move the clam lower parts sideways and then lift the clam of.

However all 4 bolts are spinning so I need to mull over what to do about them but at least I have easy access to them now.

It's a different story with the rad shroud. Of the 8 or so bolts that connect it to the rad/crash structure not one of them is playing ball, so that's dremel time

5 hours ago, Mutley00 said:

Looks like a big project matey. I love the 'go faster stripe' on your garage floor 😉.

I dont know if any of these parts are of interest to you. He's a 'friend of a friend' who came to our house on several occasions to measure up on SWMBO's S1 Type 49. They're made in the home Stainless Steel, so will be top quality. https://jordanengineering.co.uk/

Looking forward to seeing more piccies of your progress.

Thanks. I'm currently making a shopping list of radiator, oil and oil filter, tow eye and mount, front badge, all new stainless steel fixings.

Already have new driving light brackets in my garage waiting for fitting.

For sure my list will grow !

Just a quick point about stainless fasteners - don't use these on aluminium, especially anywhere that's like to get wet as they accelerate corrosion of the aluminium part!

It's due to galvanic corrosion - the two metals are far apart in potential so, with an electrolyte (eg. water....and if it's salt water from wet, gritted roads it gets worse!) the two metals form a cell:

Bimetallic (galvanic) corrosion – British Stainless Steel Association (bssa.org.uk)

It can be reduced by using Duralac or similar on the contacting areas.

• Like 1

Finally the radiator and shroud is of. Every single fastener on that bloody car is made of mild steel and rusted to hell. My dremel mini grinder has been working over time. The not good news is some oil in the coolant. When I fit the new rad, I'll do a few flushes and then keep an eye on it I think

Screenshot_20231124_101131_Gallery.jpg

If those clam bolts are spinning the captive nut inside the sill has come loose.  You'll probably have to cut your way to some access, both to retrieve the existing nut, and maybe a but bolt, and to provide for some new fixings.  Probably bonding in a new bighead nut.  Somehow I don't think a bug scrivet is the answer!  At least you can make the nut and the bolt both stainless steel and not worry about them ever again.

2 hours ago, Lithopsian said:

If those clam bolts are spinning the captive nut inside the sill has come loose.  You'll probably have to cut your way to some access, both to retrieve the existing nut, and maybe a but bolt, and to provide for some new fixings.  Probably bonding in a new bighead nut.  Somehow I don't think a bug scrivet is the answer!  At least you can make the nut and the bolt both stainless steel and not worry about them ever again.

To get access into the sill to retrieve the loose captive nut you can remove the coin trays which reveal a hole and stick a bendy magnetic to fish out.

And it seems most people replace with a rivnut

• Badger02 changed the title to S1 Type 49 Elise Refresh