litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S1 Type 49 Elise Refresh

Badger02

Now I have to make my mind up, do I:

Shotblast or Deox C to remove the dirt/rust, then

Kurust/hammerite or get them plated.

Zinc plating seems to be the best long term solution according to my petrolhead friends, though I've no experience with it, so unsure at the moment.

Have been told to avoid powdercoating as not very resilient to stonechips

Edited by Badger02

Looking good Badger, you’ve inspired me to start my front end refresh. Have a question about the heater. How do you separate the fan from the motor? I’ve removed the clip from the end of the motor shaft but the plastic fan doesn’t move. Do you just tap it off or am I missing something?

IMG_1462.thumb.jpeg.35e4af65e53bfc77c765ab171a0e0ba8.jpeg

1 hour ago, JulianT said:

Looking good Badger, you’ve inspired me to start my front end refresh. Have a question about the heater. How do you separate the fan from the motor? I’ve removed the clip from the end of the motor shaft but the plastic fan doesn’t move. Do you just tap it off or am I missing something?

IMG_1462.thumb.jpeg.35e4af65e53bfc77c765ab171a0e0ba8.jpeg

My fan was seized onto the shaft. I tried my mole grips to pull it of, but no luck.

If you have a look at my post from the 9th Dec, I raised the fan plus cover on some pieces of wood, then with a punch positioned on the end of the shaft, I gave it a few whacks with my lump hammer which did the trick.

Decided to repaint the brake calipers as well as they look dull. This was the condition when i removed it, have applied some paint stripper but boy that paint is tough, going to take some scrubbing with a wire brush before it's ready for a fresh coat

20231231_095715.jpg

Looking good! I wouldn't Hammerite them though as it chips off just like powder coating. We've just got a thin layer of waxoyl on ours, but we don't run them in the wet. 

• Badger02 changed the title to S1 Type 49 Elise Refresh