litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S1 Type 49 Elise Refresh

Badger02

• 2 weeks later...

Splitting the tie rod ball joint on passenger side has so far defeated me. Its not a tapered joint so should just drop out with a tap with a hammer. Tried a BJ splitter as per photo, but I don't think it's the right tool for this job. Going to try applying heat in the area around the bolt and see if that works.

20240305_085324.jpg

3 hours ago, Badger02 said:

Drivshafts are out. The drivers side gearbox seal has been weeping ever since I bought the car in 2021, but I'll do both sides 

20240309_135800.jpg

Great progress continues. Can I share some experince with the driveshaft seals (?). Many of the current seals are it appears,  not made to the same tolerances as the ones your car came with and can leak even if correctly fitted. Makes prepping the surfaces extra important. I personally didn't get on with elise parts upgraded seals. I'd recommend the oem seals and soak them well  before fitting, letting the excess drip out over the next few days until it stopped... and giving them a better chance of sealing thereafter. Alternatively I'm sure there's a seloc thread saying there's some honda gearbox seals which fit v. well and are top quality.  Oh and I couldn't find a socket correctly sized to tap the seals in with but the old seals fit perfectly inside a new roll of gaffa tape, which I attached to an old engine mount to tap the new seals in through the passenger rear sub-frame. (Or...just have the right tool ! 🤣) Some thoughts and ideas to help you on your way. Keep up the good work 👍

20230916_115106.jpg

20230916_120857.jpg

20230916_120950.jpg

9 hours ago, Badger02 said:

Thanks for the advice. I bought the uprated seals from EP, hmmm.

I assume you mean soak in gearbox oil?

Is there a right tool then ?

Screenshot_20240309_173305_Chrome.jpg

I suspect there's a drift which fits perfectly but needs-must and I went all blue peter on it. Those are the RP ones I used initially. Like I said they didn't work for me but that's just my one experience and likewise i could have messed up fitting. I'm sure they'll be fine. On reflection I preferred the oem design as it goes.  Tomato tomarto

Good luck 👍 

Rear wishbones are coming on. Half have the topcoat done. Half have the zinc spray applied. Once all topcoat applied then I'll do the lot in 2 pack clear lacquer before fitting new bushes and ball joints on all of them

20240315_083001.jpg

• Badger02 changed the title to S1 Type 49 Elise Refresh