litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S1 Type 49 Elise Refresh

Badger02

Took the heater assembly out this morning. Bit of a pain as space it tight. Found it easier to remove the fan from the rad cover 1st. Then lower the rad into the bottom space, rotate 90 degrees, then easy to lift out.

Bit rusty and needs a small repair but otherwise not too bad

Getting the fan of the shaft I ended up having to use a punch and lump hammer as it was stuck on solid.

Currently fan cover is coated in paint stripper then I'll remove the paint and then put it in a bucket of rust remover.

20231209_134830.jpg

20231209_133943.jpg

20231209_123146.jpg

20231209_113645.jpg

20231209_113226.jpg

A common problem on S1's is that the bolts that go into the captive nuts at the bottom rear of the clam sieze and then when you apply force the captive nuts detach from the sill meaning they then spin, which is what's happened on mine.

So i dremeled the bolt heads of, knocked the remaining part of the bolts and captive nuts into the sill.

To fish them out from the sill I removed the coin tray (stupid amount of sealant used) which reveals a hole, then with a bendy magnet wire I could get them out.

20231210_195714.jpg

20231210_183915.jpg

20231210_182659.jpg

3 hours ago, Badger02 said:

After 2 days in Deox C that's looking a lot better. Couple of rust spots remaining so back in the bucket it's gone. Couple of repairs needed (the stud bolt on the bottom has snapped) before I'll apply Kurust and then paint it.

20231212_081104.jpg

Wow! What a transformation. I have always found Bilt Hamber stuff great. Just looked at Deox and interesting to see it's available in a gel too, if parts to be treated aren't easily dunked in a bucket 👍

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, martenr1975 said:

Wow! What a transformation. I have always found Bilt Hamber stuff great. Just looked at Deox and interesting to see it's available in a gel too, if parts to be treated aren't easily dunked in a bucket 👍

Yes, 1st time I've used Deox C and very impressed with it

On reassembling the heater box with the new rad, the holes for the rivets clashed slightly with the rad. I ummed and ahhed for a bit, thought I'd try some long cable ties to hold it together, but then the extra thickness of the ties meant the box wouldn't fit in the space Lotus left for it (which has almost no clearence).

In the end I elongated the holes a bit to ensure the rivets missed the rad.

20231216_125840.jpg

20231216_131017.jpg

20231216_133532.jpg

• Badger02 changed the title to S1 Type 49 Elise Refresh