litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S1 Type 49 Elise Refresh

Badger02

I find this kind of thing fascinating. I just wish I had the skills to do something like this myself.  I’m an expert at taking things apart but bloody awful at putting things back together again!!!

10 hours ago, Guido said:

I find this kind of thing fascinating. I just wish I had the skills to do something like this myself.  I’m an expert at taking things apart but bloody awful at putting things back together again!!!

The most important thing is attitude. I've not done most of things I'm doing now before, but I'm willing to give it a go and TRY.

Sometimes I get things wrong and have to take a step back, but hey ho , no big deal.

Very true!!  My biggest fear is trying something and then having to call an expert in to fix what I have done!!

If I have a step by step guide I’m happy (YouTube can be very helpful) but going in ‘blind’ would frighten me to death. 

Well-known issue.  Bottom one is essentially not accessible with the wishbone on.  The upper one can be accessed either with a long allen key or a (very sturdy!) cut-down one.  They are steel into an aluminium housing (with the rubber bushes) and will be well welded in by now.  You'll need a high quality allen bit and some beef behind it.  If you come at them from the rear you can get penetrating fluid where it will do some good.

Some people have replaced the capheads with hex bolts which lets you use a regular spanner, but you'll have to guess the torque if you go this route.  The torque isn't too critical as you should use a thread sealant and that should stop anything vibrating loose.  Just make sure you don't strip the threads in the aluminium block.

I suspect you won't get a long one on the bottom bolt.  I seem to remember trying the same thing and the wishbone just wouldn't move far enough.  Still, worth a try if you don't fancy dismantling the whole suspension just yet.

What you can do is get a stubby hex bit in the caphead and try turning it with a ring spanner.  Fiddly, especially trying to break it loose the first time, and you have to get it well seated and keep it there, but it is worth a try.  Unless you have some fancy tools, you won't be able to get a torque wrench on to put it back together.

• Badger02 changed the title to S1 Type 49 Elise Refresh