litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

New addition to the MLOC family

richbk

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought some Nitrons second hand for my s2 K series Elise and they didn't fit - the rears were way too long. Luckily the seller was very good about it and took them back.

I would not bother fitting a second fan. However at a minimum i would be fitting a PRT kit. In the ideal world i would be fitting an EWP80 with a controller as well. Mine works a treat not cheap though.

On 15/02/2022 at 10:41, DeanB said:

Blimey, Scatty the lurker!! 

How are you mate?  I hope you've booked LitP 2022  😊

i know mate.... i promise to get out this year.. i've been a disgrace...

On 06/03/2022 at 22:43, richbk said:

A brief update on this weeks progress or lack there of . Work and the weather have conspired to stop me getting the suspension and wishbones off the rear so this is priority this week so they can go off to be blasted and prepped for next stage . 
couple of quick questions ….

how do you remove the parking brake cable , is it a simple task to remove and re fit ?

how do I remove the track rod (if this is correct term) from the end of the wishbone . The set up seems different from my exige where this seems to be fitted to a bracket rather than directly onto the end of the wishbone , unless I aren’t seeing it correctly ? 

whilst not much has happened it has probably been  the most expensive week if the resto. With Seriously lotus refresh kit with oem bushes and more sexily a very clean set of 22k miles S2 exige 2008 Bilsteins . Managed to get these via eBay from a great chap down south . 
994C8D58-2C51-4074-9807-D67165372F65.thumb.jpeg.45f5f9582fa0dceb1f13381ed549b8d3.jpeg
also received a new/old radiator and fan .
I know most will say I should have gone pro alloy whilst I was going the job , but budget is tight and for £35 for both items from a chap clearing out his garage of bits not used as part of his own project a few years back , it seems like a sensible oem replacement.
pic below shows difference of condition . 
question I ask myself is now this ….

B034C243-6188-4036-A2AE-FC37D9B6545B.thumb.jpeg.27f17df3b10ec56a0fe9338f8e057553.jpeg

I have 2 working fans now , and mounting points on the new rad to place them both . Is there a worthwhile benefit fitting both , ? Is it simple electrics by running 2 sets of wires into 1 connector block , will I end up with 2 fans running at 1/2 speed ?? Will I blow the fuse controlling them . Forgive my ignorance please electric boffins . 

apart from that we have cleaned up , rubbed down , prepped and painted various bits like grilles, light brackets, mud flaps , brake callipers  ( any suggestions on colour , can’t bring myself to leave them oem as have always painted as a accent on the car , but deep purple and silver wheels is tricky ….)

thanks in advance of any advice , gratefully received . 

Richard and Ethan 

8BE2DC17-528E-4950-88DF-D78954E5CFEF.thumb.jpeg.d4347e545d5021a955054ed607bc25f3.jpeg

This looks like you're both having a great time.  Keep up the good work.

The exige suspension is far too stiff both on compression and rebound for the 'light' s1.  I'd recommend a rethink even though that may seem difficult now you've invested. Re-sell itrather than regret it. There's was a new (only 35 mile) set on seloc for 850 yesterday. Bet you can get it for less

Cooling is such a  key topic. You should defo fit a Remote thermostat kit. The rad is a known weak point  and slightly thinner than ideal. There are  thicker uk (well) made alloy rads on ebizzle for just under or over the 200 mark. I scepitcally got one. It is brilliant. 38mm (+6mm) core reduced my slightly high running temp by 10deg back to mid 80s. I'm sure the new-old one will be fine. I'd fit it if I was also willing to preemptively replace it in a few years. An Electric water pump would be the  ideal when the budget allows. At that point you can fit a second fan controlled by the ewp. Like the remote thermostat kit this is a brilliant bit of kit for the k series elise.

Loosen the  tension in the hand brake cables where they attach to the rear lower wishbones. Unclip them from half circle 'pasty' shaped plate by removing the linch pin/clip and pushing out past the little pimples on the inside. Unclip from the rear brake.

Good luck!

MrWill

I fitted a PRRT kit to mine years and years ago. It didn't stop the head gasket failing but it's still a worthwhile piece of kit.

Iirc Land Rover started to fit them on Freelanders to try and reduce the number of HGFs. If the oem engineers think they are helpful then so do I, is my thinking.

You might be able to fashion a kit yourself by getting Freelander kit from a scrapyard?

I think the electric fuel pump sounds fabulous, but you will probably be fine without it - I don't have one, and mine is more powerful (150-155 bhp I guess) with the ported head and 633 cams, so under more stress when I cane it!

We had a couple of dry , warming hours spare today and finally managed to remove the brakes, rear wishbones etc , was surprised to see the hub surround ( sure it has a more technical term ) is different on each side , seems odd . I know the wheel sensor is on the rear passenger side but didn’t think it would affect set up , any thoughts , knowledge on this.

7DED96EA-AB53-4529-A410-8F4750B73360.thumb.jpeg.2f731ce9bfe2b501e540550693ca5ead.jpegE6ABDFDF-4D0E-4C87-A2C8-82F22C9F1755.thumb.jpeg.7f8b583c6ddd5c17e8d2f563001b974f.jpegalso removed the tray under the fuel tank to have a nosey . Found a line unclipped and tapping , so maybe fixed one of the 20 or so rattles ( along with removing the £1.73 in loose change from under the seat !) the tank seems quiet rusty on one corner so will treat to a bit of Krust and hammerite. BAA73586-429F-4C11-9F09-1B2A78035145.thumb.jpeg.a45df3e9bd6ce555266309fb3dfcddef.jpeg

on inspection of the wishbones , bottom rear drivers side appears to have a slight bend in it ? As per photo . Only slight , but wondering if I should replace or possibly get it warmed and reshaped ? Is this a reasonable thing to attempt or is it scrap ?  Oddly the other side seems to have had new ball joint recently , but not this one ? 
2D14BF94-DCBF-4BAF-849F-FE48C40FD36A.thumb.jpeg.fbb07d4b48c7e9c33f9b67a7f077b50b.jpeg

All commmets welcome as ever 

R and E 

Do you mean the uprights Rich?

One side is the extruded ally version that the early s1s had, the other is the more durable (but heavier) iron ones Lotus fitted to later s1s.

If it were me I would try and find a straight wishbone rather than try and bend that one back.

A single new balljoint is not that unusual, they don't necessarily wear out at the same rate - it may have had one due to an MOT failure.  I would guess though that a bent wishbone doesn't help this sort of thing...

Oh by the way, I had my wheels off at the weekend and noticed my wishbones were beginning to rust again, and I only blasted and painted them (off the car) 2 years ago, and it hasn't done loads of miles. Bugger!

I didn't zinc passivate them but now I wish I had.  I also wish I had put more coats of paint on (iirc I put on two coats of black POR15 - clearly not enough). 

Don't make the same mistakes as me!!

Archived