litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Help! I don’t fit in the Exige. Any suggestions? Tillett seats?

J J Lester

Greetings,

I’m in love with the Exige S3 but to my horror I’ve found I don’t fit.
At 6.3” I’m not exactly freakishly tall, but the problem is my very long legs hitting the steering wheel and gearstick. 
Headroom seems fine, probably even with a helmet on.

I’m reading about removing sliders, using steering spacers, Tillett buckets etc. Anything to get as low and far back as possible. 
Has anyone here done this? 

Any help greatly appreciated.

Best,

JJ

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same problem with my son, 6ft 4inch and does not fit, legs touch the wheel. Gave up trying to get him to fit. His best option was a race bag seat (expanded foam) in the well. Head restraints were then I problem and I could not drive it.

I'm 6.2", although I fitted fine I've made some improvements...

I changed the seats to Corbeau LE Pro's on standard runners with a custom lower cushion so the seat now sits lower. 

I've also raised the steering column with some 5mm washers, which gives about 20mm rise at the wheel. This will give you much needed leg room.

I also have a removable wheel which is closer to the driver by about 20mm, this helps with leg room too. I never have the need to take the wheel off to get in or out.

i think it must depend on proportions a lot too, i'm 6'4 and i've never had any trouble in my vx220 or any of the lotuses i've owned.  It's cozy, and yeah my knees hit the steering column, but i've adopted a kind of john wayne style of driving. 

my biggest problem is if i'm at the front of a queue at the traffic lights, i can't see the damned things :)

I am 6'4", and just fit in with half inch clear room above my head.

Have a removable steering wheel, which means i can JUST get my knees under it, if i wear shoes with thin soles.

My biggest issue is working out how to gain a bit more headroom so i can fit in there wth a lid on for track days.  If anyone has any bright ideas i'm all ears

i've got that problem too, i've tried my motorbike helmet but there's no a chance i can wear it with the roof on.   Are open-face race helmets any slimmer?  didn't really want to buy one if it still wasn't going to fit

Have you tried one of those WW2 pilot helmets made out of Leather?

I also have an issue seeing the traffic lights.  Often hang my head out of the side window to see.

I find it tight too, but do not have my seat all the way back in fact.  I can not get on with the carbon fibre seats as I think they are more reclined.  My head bangs on the top roll bar thingy.

Need to find a manufacturer that makes quite thin helmets......

Toying with the idea of spacing the steering wheel closer to me, and then just slouching in the seat.

Don't want to shell out for a tillet seat, and then find i still have the same problem

On 17/05/2021 at 13:01, Stik said:

i think it must depend on proportions a lot too, i'm 6'4 and i've never had any trouble in my vx220 or any of the lotuses i've owned.  It's cozy, and yeah my knees hit the steering column, but i've adopted a kind of john wayne style of driving. 

my biggest problem is if i'm at the front of a queue at the traffic lights, i can't see the damned things :)

Agree it's down to proportions. I'm 6'2 and have never had difficulty with any of the tubs or seats.

But came here to really say the traffic light thing is an easy thing to sort! If you're right at the traffic light line and can't see directly, you just need to look in the reflection of your front wing on the top. Perfect visibility to always see the lights whatever the weather, and see when they change without having to contort yourself! Worked in my VX years back too - it's like when they were designed they knew what they were doing ;)

I will try that.  Thanks.

I remember when I had my S2000, I used to like driving only looking at the reflections on the big long bonnet (only for short spell mind)

On 21/05/2021 at 10:06, Gormski said:

Agree it's down to proportions. I'm 6'2 and have never had difficulty with any of the tubs or seats.

But came here to really say the traffic light thing is an easy thing to sort! If you're right at the traffic light line and can't see directly, you just need to look in the reflection of your front wing on the top. Perfect visibility to always see the lights whatever the weather, and see when they change without having to contort yourself! Worked in my VX years back too - it's like when they were designed they knew what they were doing ;)

You are implying I keep my car shiny enough to see reflections :D

• 2 weeks later...

I’m 6ft 4 with giraffe like legs..

removable wheel with 20mm spacer should be fine for you... 

A helmet on the other hand, I’m with all the other lanky streaks of piss.. I can fit with one. But it kind of hits the roof.. I tried an open face one but no joy... 

Archived