litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Another Elise S1

Daveb99

Sounds good Dave, Looks a fantastic buy.

Did you Get Gav to give it the once over then?  He's a good'en our Gav, hadn't even mentioned about my door hinge at my service before he had the Allen keys out and had sorted it without asking. W hat that man doesn't know eh!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, kieranexige said:

Sounds good Dave, Looks a fantastic buy.

Did you Get Gav to give it the once over then?  He's a good'en our Gav, hadn't even mentioned about my door hinge at my service before he had the Allen keys out and had sorted it without asking. W hat that man doesn't know eh!

Cheers buddy - yep Gav is a top man.  He gave it the full treatment and also found a couple of bolts that were loose (suspension no less....) so ended up checking everything.   He reckons it was a total no brainer at the price I paid (let's just say I could have had four of these for the price I sold my V6 for!!!) which is good enough for me.    Have to say with the cams and hurricane it really sounds like it's running carbs from 4k to 7k - absolutely love it.     The best bit is that with 114k on it I couldn't give a monkeys how many miles I put on it, which is a bit different to the S160 of course.   Looking forward to getting the new tyres and freshly refurbed AWIs on it - should be Sunday.

Funny you should mention door hinges - Gav has sorted mine as both were working very loose.  They are perfect now - no surprise there.

Couple of pics attached from when I had the wheels off.   Can't see it staying quite this clean for long!    I've also fitted a decal that was kindly sent to me by the buyer of my black S160 - in France.  He's a lovely bloke and thought I'd like one so here it is.

I trust the Exige is keeping you smiling - seems like an absolute beauty, I'm looking forward to seeing it..

IMG_1949.jpg

IMG_1962.JPG

IMG_2016.jpg

5 hours ago, Daveb99 said:

Cheers buddy - yep Gav is a top man.  He gave it the full treatment and also found a couple of bolts that were loose (suspension no less....) so ended up checking everything.   He reckons it was a total no brainer at the price I paid (let's just say I could have had four of these for the price I sold my V6 for!!!) which is good enough for me.    Have to say with the cams and hurricane it really sounds like it's running carbs from 4k to 7k - absolutely love it.     The best bit is that with 114k on it I couldn't give a monkeys how many miles I put on it, which is a bit different to the S160 of course.   Looking forward to getting the new tyres and freshly refurbed AWIs on it - should be Sunday.

Funny you should mention door hinges - Gav has sorted mine as both were working very loose.  They are perfect now - no surprise there.

Couple of pics attached from when I had the wheels off.   Can't see it staying quite this clean for long!    I've also fitted a decal that was kindly sent to me by the buyer of my black S160 - in France.  He's a lovely bloke and thought I'd like one so here it is.

I trust the Exige is keeping you smiling - seems like an absolute beauty, I'm looking forward to seeing it..

IMG_1949.jpg

IMG_1962.JPG

IMG_2016.jpg

114,000 miles and the wheels have been off for detailing 😂😂 

Top work though, sounds like Gav did the buisness again. 

Yeah mines OK, new battery and a few bits. Got a few interior bits on the go at the minute too. 

21 minutes ago, kieranexige said:

114,000 miles and the wheels have been off for detailing 😂😂 

Top work though, sounds like Gav did the buisness again. 

Yeah mines OK, new battery and a few bits. Got a few interior bits on the go at the minute too. 

It was already that clean you cheeky git 🤪. The previous owner only did 400 dry miles after doing the suspension refresh....I actually took the wheels off to tweak the Nitrons (honest).

The calipers need doing though, he made a bit of a mess of them.  

I have found something that Gav failed to fix, shock horror - the headlights flicker quite a bit when the engine is running.  He did something with the engine earth and to be fair they weren’t flickering when he started it up on pickup - but they are now.   Has anyone got any ideas as to what it could be?

Did they steam-clean the chassis?  My garage queen has a lot less miles and it doesn't come up like that with anything I'm prepared to attack it with.

Sounds like there is still an earth issue?  Some sort of loose wire at any rate, and it always seems to end up being the earth.  The major ones are the earth straps to and from the chassis, but presumably they've already been dealt with.  Both headlamps?  Only when the engine is running?  Could still be the main earth strap, or even the alternator wire to the solenoid (battery might not charge well if that wire is dodgy) with the headlamps rapidly switching between alternator voltage and battery.  Or it might just be the vibration on some other loose connection.  Both lamps, check the front harness connector and the thin black terminals on the battery.  Only one, check the connector on the lamp itself.  Checking high beam and driving lamps might or might not offer more clues.

I fear it’s turned  into a garage queen already...

the proof in the pudding will be if it’s seen out and about from now until March.....

gav said you’d been bending his ear for advice..  that bloke is worth his weight in gold...

you gotta love a yellow s1 Elise. Always reminds me of Des... I wonder what happened to him...top chap.

Cheers all....especially Lithopsian for the tips on diagnosing the flickering lights - will do the basic checks and then discuss further with Gav..

Newly acquired 5 spoke AWI wheels are now being refurbed - picking them up on Saturday with NS-2Rs fitted (was thinking AD08RS but they have got very mixed reviews).....then Geo, a waft of ACF spray here and there in the arches etc and I’m good to go on those winter runs Ray..

Not sure how long I can put up with the colour mismatch on the OSF wing though so any recommendations for inexpensive bodyshops with Elise/fibreglass experience welcomed..

I reckon it’ll make more runs than yours Scatty 😂

1 minute ago, scatty said:

Ha ha ha, probably Dave 😂

although I intend to get out a bit more once I find out where it currently is...🤣

Hehe so stealth you can’t find it...

One things for sure - if we are on the same run you’ll blow me into the weeds matey 👍🏻

Thanks for that Nick.

Quick update, the freshly refurbished AWIs and NS-2R tyres are on.  Personally I much prefer them to the Rimstocks and I’ve never been a massive fan of black wheels.  

Now I need a geo..

F8B14AA2-A34D-4F77-A657-8D33DED8D4DA.jpeg

5CB80696-D8CE-4D06-A854-7E8B2414762D.jpeg

Archived