28th - 30th June 2024

Nlc - Lister Bell Stratos Build Thread

Dr H

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

IVA retest this morning.

ECU fuel corrections for high IATs disabled.

Tailpipe restrictor fitted.

Sailed through 😁

Just needs registering with DVLA to get a V5 and plates and then I can actually drive it........

51683093192_52d78a567c_c.jpg

51 minutes ago, Phil S1 said:

Congratulations Leigh, absolutely fantastic. You'd be certain to get my vote for car of the day at Lotus in the Peak....but sadly we won't let you in 😁

I might well turn up as a visitor anyway. I was considering asking for a special guest slot as a previous winner of car of the day 😉

• 1 month later...

Got an early Christmas pressie. Letter from the DVLA with confirmation of registration and an allocated number plate!

V5 will follow - which I need to put the number plate I have for the car - LB11 STR.

So I can drive it! If it wasn't in bits with me doing post-IVA changes and I'd  remembered to change the insurance from and 'in build' policy to a 'you can drive it on the road' policy!

• 2 weeks later...

Not done much over Christmas.

Trimmed the rain gutters above the doors now it's post-IVA. Looks a lot neater. Don't have a picture but will need to slightly adjust the window alignment now too.

Decals also fitted to rear.

Clear rear lights to replace the one clear (reverse) and one red (fog) with twin feed red/white bulbs. So now I have 2 fogs or 2 reverse lights. The reverse (white light) overrides the fog (red) if you put it into reverse with the fog lights on. Also looks more like the original cars that has 2 reverse lights and no fog.

And the V5 has been changed to the 'correct' plate

51792869500_60af3aa5ab_c.jpg

Removed the dash and recovered it in a matt grey vinyl, etch primed and prayed the clock bezels in matt black rather than the gloss they did have. Match the switches much better now. Also added a much nicer start button and less crappy and worn looking hazard light switch.

51797812578_bdfb1a5851_c.jpg

Now just waiting for a connector to replace a dodgy one on one of the dials and some decent weather......2 weeks of rain/fog/crappy weather here. Quite fancied the first drive out in nice dry conditions!

Oh, and I seem to have developed a small drip from the gearbox. I have a feeling it could be the seal on the passenger side output shaft. I had to replace the CV boot as it split the day before IVA! No idea why as it was brand new.

When I disconnected the driveshaft and pulled it out, it stuck to the output shaft even though the bolts were removed and I pulled that out too! Gearbox was full of oil so it went everywhere and I quickly stuffed the shaft back in. Maybe I damaged the seal doing this?

Cleaned all the oil off the box/chassis and left it to sit. Week later a tiny puddle of oil under the car and a drip coming off the box. Cleaned again and similar, but smaller puddle. Maybe it's residual oil in places I couldn't clean? If not I'll need to redo the seal which is a bit of a pain but not impossible. Maybe a 3 hour job.

Its been bone dry throughout the build and RR runs etc. Only dripped after the shaft pulled out.

It's remarkable how a small amount of oil can look like a lake of the stuff! Equally, a little in the grooves of an oil seal can take a while to find its way out (and onto the floor...) so hopefully yours is okay. 

BTW, the current issue (#31) of Automobilsport magazine has a huge section about the Stratos...although I suspect by now you'll have learnt everything you ever wanted/needed to know! 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we had some good bright dry weather and dry roads for the first time in weeks. Salt free roads too.

So......as it's been 5 years and 11 months since rolling the bare chassis and first bits of the kit into my garage, I decided it was about time to go for a drive!

No pictures as I didn't stop, just drove for about 15 miles. Took it easy, no faster than 60mph. As proof it happened here's a very rough cut video, lashed together from outside bits from the OH and my son sat in the passenger seat. Don't think ether of them have chances of a career in film rolleyes.png

All went well. Pressure and temps nice and sensible, few pops on overrun but nothing too loud.

Makes a nice noise, steering is nice and direct, not as good as the Elise but very responsive. I think I need to alter the calibration of the throttle pedal as it's a bit 'long'. Picks up well but didn't take it past about 4k. Will rev to 7.5k. Just wanted to take it easy on the first run out.

My son said 'I didn't think it would be this comfortable'. Not a single rattle or squeak and brilliant ride quality.

Certainly attracts attention! wink.png

Archived