litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Nlc - Lister Bell Stratos Build Thread

Dr H

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like to feel I've provided you with a much needed service, giving a modicum of stability in this crazy world. 

Over the last 5 1/2 years we've had Brexit, Trump, Covid and now the events in Afghanistan but throughout it all you've all been safe in the knowledge that I still haven't finished the car! 😁

Congratulations Leigh on a truly epic build. I stumbled across your thread years ago after watching the Steve Sutcliffe LB roadtest and I've been back regularly ever since for updates. Thank you for sharing the highs and lows, it's been a pleasure to follow your progress and of course great to see it finally finished. Well done!  

Thanks for all the kind words chaps.

Just need to get the IVA passed.

Looking at current waiting lists could well be towards the end of Sept before I get a date.

IVA forms accepted, fee paid but no booking for the test made.

NOTHING at all available at Derby or Notts. All released slots gone. Might be November......

Really don't want to be carting it across the country, Derby and Notts are both close to me and LB. Car needs to go to LB for a bit of IVA prep.

JCar went to have PPF fitted today. Had it collected and taken to a place near Burton on Trent.

This meant I had to drive it out of the garage, down the drive and onto a trailer. It's the furthest I've ever been in it under its own steam! A full 70 odd metre drive.....

Also the first time I've moved it with all the windows/glass in. Quite a distinctive sound in the cabin with the ITBs. Glad I have a double glazed rear window!

The guy with the trailer just stopped and stared at it when I parked at the end of the drive. 'That is amazing' was all he could come out with lol.gif

Then a a bloke walking past did a double take and stopped. 'Is it a 'Clan?' How dare he! nut.gif

Arrived safe and sound and should be done by Sat.

spacer.png

On 03/09/2021 at 17:59, smithpaulg said:

Leigh, its looking great, every time I pass your house i think about popping in to have a nose.

however, i have to say 70m is probably further than you drove both you lotus’s in the last 5 years 😂

sorry had to say it!

Oi - I get enough of that sort of abuse on SELOC! I expect better from MLOC 😄

Back from PPF

Hopefully will get the boot lid back from it's paint autopsy later this week. The guys that did the PPF did the front and then decided they could do it better so removed it all and did it again. And the paint stayed on......

live_staticfkr_com_65535_51435886996_988965f946_c.jpg

live_staticfkr_com_65535_51436125643_9a76212cfa_c.jpg

Drove it up the drive yesterday morning from the trailer on the street and the accelerator seemed super sensitive - quite kangerooey (if that's a word). It will need another proper dyno session after IVA before any real road use.

• 1 month later...

Right, that's it. I (personally) can do no more pre IVA. Spent a few weeks doing all the finally little jobs / snagging.
It goes to LB on Tuesday for final IVA prep and a few little jobs.

live_staticfkr_com_65535_51573502138_7fb2572564_b.jpg

live_staticfkr_com_65535_51573262711_3c63f42ce7_b.jpg

live_staticfkr_com_65535_51573502413_57280c8b2b_b.jpg

Even after IVA (if it passes) there are still lots of things I need to do, so it's not finished yet no.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Yay - IVA today.

Booo - it failed 😞

Emissions. Everything else fine, just emissions.

Oh well, only took 5.5 years to get to this point, sure I'll get it sorted somehow......

Worked out what it was.

So in terms that I understand, there are algorithms built into the map that will override the main fuel table in certain situations. And no matter what changes we made to it, the main fuel table would be ignored. Which fully explains what happened.

The IAT reached 73 degrees! They are known for engine bay heat issues and sitting with it revving at 2500 rpm with zero air flow really made the temps sky rocket.

I then checked the tables in the Map and for table for the fuel mixture aim for IAT and see this:

spacer.png

So if the IAT was 73 degrees the fuel mixture aim would be 0.8 to 0.93 depending in the pressure. The tester read it at 0.93 and the Lambda readings in the log were both around 0.92 to 0.93

This actually makes it even more frustrating because if these corrections hadn’t been in place I think it may well have passed because the IVA tester seemed to be reading the same as the ECU in terms of lambda.

Oh well, should be as simple as booking the retest. They only re-test the bit it failed on and don’t do the whole thing again.

It does need more mapping work but that can come later and will be much easier if it's road registered and I can drive the thing to the RR rather than having to keep trailering it everywhere.

Archived