litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Am I Mental? Mx-5 / M100 Content.

the DustRoom

I keep thinking of getting a cheap-ish car for a bit of fun for when not in the Lotus - I'm primarily looking at a mk1 MX-5/Eunos but recently started looking at the M100 Elan Turbo.

My head is telling me to just get a half-decent Eunos but I'm really starting to like the M100 Elan.

Am I mad?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you should get the hairdressers car...

And a wig.... :-)

If its reliable then get the lotus, if not, I wouldn't bother...

You cheeky blighter (waves fist 1940's style)!

You bought that black 240 yet soft lad?!?

MX-5 is a bit hair dresser, though the mk1 is clearly based on the original Elan and looks the best of them all IMHO.

I fear that the M100 is a bit 80's and I'll have to dress like Don Johnson or Scatty to pull it off?

Front wheel drive in a sports car is just wrong !

.... Unless you plan on sticking it in permanent reverse ..

Elan is indeed a lovely looking car tho..

Sorry chaps , get the Mazda ....

Front wheel drive in a sports car is just wrong !

.... Unless you plan on sticking it in permanent reverse ..

Elan is indeed a lovely looking car tho..

Sorry chaps , get the Mazda ....

Someone who hasn't driven an M100 perhaps?

In SELOC style, this person needs shooting with such an incorrect answer - but judging by the username, looks like someone already has!! :P

Hahaha ...

No offence intended !

Personal preference indeed but I cant envisage having proper slidey fun in a front wheel drive car ?

Never been on Seloc ;-)

I'm absolutely sure the M100 is one of the very best fwd cars in tbe world but that configuration is a huge compromise on what is the ideal .

It's the FWD that does bother me; the MX-5/Eunos would have some fun slidey moments whereas the M100 obviously wouldn't.

Both seem to be a half-decent investment instead of money down the pan but the M100 potentially costs double that of the mk1 MX-5/Eunos.

Neither are going to seem that fast or exciting given that I have a Supercharged V8 Jag (selling, hence the requirement for a new plaything) and an S2 111S but I'm looking for a little good, cheap fun.

The Mazda is also much, much cheaper to repair/tweak/crash but I can't help but think that a second Lotus would just be rather nice.

Alternative is that I just spunk the cash burning a hole in my pocket on the Elise of course.

My mate has had a tidy, well maintained mk1 mx5 as his daily drive for about 8 years now. It is super reliable and cheap as chips to run. I have driven it plenty but find it underwhelming to be honest. It's too soft and bouncy and the power steering is too light. Maybe new and uprated dampers would make a big difference but I would lay money on the Elan being the better steer.

No self respecting Lotus owner should even consider buying an MX5. Saw several yesterday during a blat round the Peak District & not one had their top down - protecting their haircuts methinks.

Archived