litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Jackf

22 hours ago, Mutley00 said:

Hmm that could explain alot. SWMBOs S1 is a standard 118 bhp car (supposedly), but it came with a dyno test result of 135 bhp. I've noticed it seems quicker 'off the mark' than my Sport 190. I seem to recall many moons ago, Jody mentioned it may have had an undocumented throttle body upgrade. May have to do a size comparison with another standard S1 on our next outing.

Hi Andy,

Chris Foulds suggested I try the throttle body swap.  Anyone who knows him, will be aware Chris is very loathe to change items on Lotus cars that are so called ‘upgrades’, especially for road use. 

The car felt similar to a turbo charged car that had a remap - in as much as there is a very noticeable improvement in torque and aforementioned bottom end pick up, with increased flexibility in every gear.  He said they always felt like the Sport 135 cars - they had modified valves and cams to give the 135hp.  It really is a win - win situation.  For as little cost of between £70 to £120 dependent on buying new or used.  

The original throttle body on a standard 118hp S1 is black plastic, easy to tell.  

11 minutes ago, Oakman said:

The original throttle body on a standard 118hp S1 is black plastic, easy to tell.  

Here's Mandy's engine bay. Looks like a new Throttle Body to me!

I've not been to Fouldsy for a while as the MOT tester he uses got really fussy about emissions on the Sport 190, which resulted in Chris having to re-map the Emerald on-line with Emerald themselves, which really cocked it up resulting into an expensive trip to a local rolling road. I use David Underwood at Eckington now, who is like a local 'Gav'!

IMG_2882.JPG

That looks to be right Andy. 

Chris wouldn’t like the cone filter 😄

He’s adamant they cause hp loss ! Plus they require a cold air feed 🤣They sound good on induction though 

Edited by Oakman

Hi Jack. I'm on my second Elise. The first, a 111R, had 189bhp from the 1.8 Litre Toyota screamer. Had the chip changed for the sport one which smoothed the shift onto the second cam, and also lowered the change point to about 5700 rpm. Never had any trouble with the engine and never needed an oil topup in 65k miles. Power lacklustre below 4k. Rev limiter set at 8200!!!

Now on a Series 3 with a supercharger. Much more usable around town, power from very low down. Revs to 6,700 before the rev limiter kicks in.

Heel and toe no fun in an S3 as engine management doesn't let you use the brake and accellerator at the same time.

ANy questions then PM me.

Happy Hunting.

PS I'm in Matlock if you want a closer look.

4 hours ago, hartleyj said:

Hi Jack. I'm on my second Elise. The first, a 111R, had 189bhp from the 1.8 Litre Toyota screamer. Had the chip changed for the sport one which smoothed the shift onto the second cam, and also lowered the change point to about 5700 rpm. Never had any trouble with the engine and never needed an oil topup in 65k miles. Power lacklustre below 4k. Rev limiter set at 8200!!!

Now on a Series 3 with a supercharger. Much more usable around town, power from very low down. Revs to 6,700 before the rev limiter kicks in.

Heel and toe no fun in an S3 as engine management doesn't let you use the brake and accellerator at the same time.

ANy questions then PM me.

Happy Hunting.

PS I'm in Matlock if you want a closer look.

1 hour ago, Jackf said:

Cheers Hartley, didn’t realise there was this many owners in this neck of the woods!

Get yourself to Hassop Station Cafe (near Bakewell) this Sunday (3rd March) for about 8.45am  - there should be approx 15-20 Lotus arriving just before 9am. A great chance to look around several types of Elise and chat to some friendly owners :)

18 hours ago, duncx said:

Get yourself to Hassop Station Cafe (near Bakewell) this Sunday (3rd March) for about 8.45am  - there should be approx 15-20 Lotus arriving just before 9am. A great chance to look around several types of Elise and chat to some friendly owners :)

Yes I hopefully shall be there around 9 😁

• Like 1

On 28/02/2024 at 17:32, Jackf said:

Yes I hopefully shall be there around 9 😁

Hi Jack,  Welcome to MLOC.  Just a quick note to let you know that the Sunday run this weekend has been cancelled (due to a risk of ice).  Wouldn't like to you turn up to Hassop and find no Lotus folk.  Hope to meet you on a Sunday morning soon.

Paul

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PaulH said:

Hi Jack,  Welcome to MLOC.  Just a quick note to let you know that the Sunday run this weekend has been cancelled (due to a risk of ice).  Wouldn't like to you turn up to Hassop and find no Lotus folk.  Hope to meet you on a Sunday morning soon.

Paul

Thanks for letting me know I was just about to get ready 😅

No problem that’s understandable, I’ll get to the next one for sure.

• Like 1

Hi Jack - welcome to MLOC.   Whatever you go for, you’ll be making a great choice with an Elise.   There isn’t a bad one in the range and they really get under your skin.

I’m somewhat of an Elise veteran and have had 10 of them over the last three decades!    It’s always the subject of healthy debate, but for me the K series S1 delivers the best overall smiles per mile.   It’s lighter than the Toyota engined cars by around 200kg or so, which is really noticeable on the twisty stuff, and as others have said can be fettled in various different ways to get up to 190bhp ish, although 150-170bhp is regarded as the sweet spot.    Torque is another thing often overlooked.   An increase in torque, together with a close ratio box, makes a massive difference.

I’ve had standard S1s, Sports 160’s, and a S2 Sport 190 but I have to say the best overall package is the S1 111S.   It has the VVC engine, close ratio gearbox, and a few other goodies that make it a nicer place to be.

Hi JackF, 

Hopefully if you attend one of our runs, you will be able to get a good idea of the differences etc. For me, I made the decision to purchase the 111R because it felt right. I had driven other Lotus Elises and they all have their own unique qualities both good and bad. But when I took the 111R for a test drive, I just knew I had found the right Lotus for me. 

If you do join us at one if our meets, I can take you out in mine (i do drive like a grandad who has forgotten where the accelerator is, so it wont be a fast drive, more of a steady pace), or if you have fully comp insurance, happy to let you have a short blast in it. 

Look forward to catching up with you at one of our meets.

Luke

Edited by Luke Seagrave
  • Like 1