litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Lotus Europa S Pics/spec

Mark H

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The car is aimed at a different market than the people who frequent MLOC. Some people will not drive a car thet has no airbags and fewer creature comforts. It has its roots in the East and i dont mean Norwich way. I hope it sells well and brings in some revenue for Lotus as Fiona says, although i have my doubts ;)

Its that front end that does it ;)

It just looks unfinished.

And is 200bhp enough? Its aiming at the 350z and boxter (possibly caymen, though not in the same price bracket) market. Potential owners may not want to race or track the car, but i am sure they would like to think it could beat a boxter in the traffic lights grand prix ;)

Fiona

M250.....hhmmm

:(:(

;):(:(;)

Looks like they've gone for a more every day car approach with the boot and the 4x4 like ride height, but theres still 20 inches of sill you have to clamber over before you can get in and then fall back out! Its rubbish.

Bottom line is, the Elise and Exige were radical in there time and they still manage to turn heads today. Although the car will probably handle very well, its certainly lost the sex apeal the current range has. Agree with the chrisler crossfire remark earlier, and maybe its just the colour of the model posted but I cant help thinking its resembles a ford cougour (slightly)

What a pile of Jap looking shit....with a massive hint of VX220. That car is a disgrace... and the sales figures will prove it. With those looks it should have a Vauxhall badge on it.

I placed an order for one after selling my S1 a couple of months ago.

Not going to rush to judgement from the pictures seen so far and more importantly from reading views of impartial people who get to drive at at or before the launch

In buying anything you need to be brutally honest before parting with cash (or cancelling the order), so my thoughts so far are:

1. I am disappointed with the looks, that I can't deny. Not the overall shape but I am not a fan of "angular" design and at the rear it does not flow. Same applies to the front "holes" to an extent. I was quite happy with the shape shown in the Autocar shots a few weeks ago and it is on those that I decided to place an order. So overall that is a negative point.

2. I am disappointed with the interior. I did hope it would have been at least a token effort towards a +2 but had become reconciled that this would not be the case. I did expect it to look fairly substantially different interior wise to a Federal S2 though, I do admit. And yes, the sills look larger than I expected.

So thats two negative points, which can only be addressed by seeing it in the flesh I suppose.

However on the other hand

3. I don't buy or care about the "it's a VX coupe" argument, so somehow that does not make it a "real" Lotus. It is in my view, irrespective of what engine it uses.

4. It's no use bemoaning the fact it isn't an M250. It ain't going to happen

5. Similarly the argument that it should be both more powerful or V6 whilst at the same time being cheaper isn't going to happen either. If it has good driveability for long distances and excellent handling then it will have a place in the market at 33k

6. And therein lies the nub. I can't justify 25 -35k for a car that will spend most of it's time sitting in my Garage (111r/Exige) for the reason that it is impractical to usefor even half of my everyday needs. Nor am I prepared to spend 40k+? for a Cayman. I certainly don't want a TT. OK a Boxster is within my price brand but don't really want one of those. Nissan etc hold no interest.

So if not the Europa as a comfortable Touring Car, what other options are there?

I do hope the first driving reports are favourable and if they are I can live with the styling issues.

If not then its back to an early S1 just as a weekend car.

I've got to say i'm quite interested by it !!

I think it looks ok (not great though)

I'm going to have a look at it when it comes out to replace my everyday car (jaguar x-type), but i will keep my Exige as a weekend car.

Possibly looking at joing the 2 lotus club !!

Chris

Nasty front lights.

Nasty front indicators

Nasty driving lights and front end.

Terrible lines where side window and roof meet (straight meets curved)

Looks like a VX with a slightly larger boot

Rear is a mess

I think someone's been on the KIA design course.

:unsure:

Its an inbred Vauxhall, Mazda, Chevvy cross breed - not good.

M250 body on that chassis is the way to go.

If you put the Elise (S1 particulaly) in a photo time-line-up you can see its lines from the 7, original Elan and Excel but that has nothing.....also notice that speed bumps have had an effect - way to high of the tarmac.

Also - take note lotus, one of the key points of a GT is that it must (quite) cumfortably fit 4 people + luggage....see DB9 for further info.

The Europa is still growing on me a little having now seen it in a couple of Newspapers and Mags.

But It still begs the question. Why can't they use the M250 Body shell?

I know that there was some issues on parts needed to build the car being discontinued, but surely they could have done some re engineering. Find an engine, gearbox, and axle and with a little bit of resetting up the internals you have got an instant seller.

I found a few pictures on google of the M250 which I think looks just fantastic.

Has Lotus ever given an official reason why they couldn't produce the M250? or is it a case of they laid off the designer only to find he owned the copyright. :santa:

post-152-1135099553.jpg

post-152-1135099595.jpg

post-152-1135099637.jpg

Archived