Lotus Europa S Pics/spec

Mark H

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

995kgs in basic spec :(

Looks awful :(:puke:

VX220 turbo lardy pig iron lump with belt cam drive :(

Seems to be getting the thumbsdown on most forums...

Lotus stylists need ;) – and it is not the way I would like to see the engineering go either.

Lotus stylists need  ;)  – and it is not the way I would like to see the engineering go either.

Too right. Bring back Julian Thomson!

Whoever buys this thing, it won't be existing Elise owners who can see all too clearly that it's a Mk II VX, got the same crude turbo engine, uglified styling (they went for "different" and found "fussy" instead) and 250kg (35%!) heavier than a S1 Elise.

Glad they've not called it a 111 - it's not worthy.

Sadly for Lotus, since they never marketed the VX, they won't have the customer database to shoot at, as VX owners can see more of a family link than any "111" driver. And as for not being sold in America, WTF! Surely the elongated front & rear were made for them?

We could have forgiven awkward styling and more weight if it was a 2+2 as it would not have drawn direct comparisons with Elise / Exige.

Big :(

What can I say... !!

Does look better in the flesh than in the photo's though. Guess it was never meant to appeal to the existing Elise/Exige hardcore cos that wouldn't have expanded their customer base.

Time will tell ... ;)

Its looks to me that Lotus are moving away from the race car look and are trying to appeal to the more conservative market :( which is stupid as LOTUS is thought of mostly as race cars!!

I think they are going down the wrong path just like the Mitsubishi Evo, The 5-6 was awesome designs then they become more family car ;) what’s that about. Same as the Nissan Skyline, what a car that was in its day, have you seen the new one - what a pill of poo that is!!

I hope Lotus can turn it around and get the public's eye back.....

Very poor - but understandable -Lotus have no money to develop a new platform -all that funding is going into the VVA which has been pulled from pillar to post by poor decision making and intrnal politicing -maybe something will eventually turn up from that project - maybe not -trying to do too much from one thing. In the mean time panic as they haven't turned any new product out for a while so shell up another Elise derivative - most of the engineering done (well that would have been the original idea but then people will have got carried away and changed the things that were supposed to be left alone, thus sucking more resource and money out of the development pot) - and then decision making on the styling front - will have been interfered with from a point East of Hethel. Although still could do better for the original concept point of view. ;)

I like it! ;) It's like an elise only it's more comfortable and it's bigger. It'll sell in droves. And the 203bhp is only the first, and probably base model. And i'm sure it'll look better in the flesh.

Now if they'd have styled it more towards the S1 design it would have been a stunner. And at least looked a little more like the europas of old!!!

Anybody know when TG of 5thG are getting there mits on one?

But, at the end of the day, it isn't marketed at us. We're not their target audience and it may sell to the TT, 350Z, Mx5 market.

Good luck to them as I want the company to do well.

But, at the end of the day, it isn't marketed at us.  We're not their target audience and it may sell to the TT, 350Z, Mx5 market.

Good luck to them as I want the company to do well.

I think you've got a point there Fi - one of the non Lotus people here at work (owns an RX8) said that it looked nice.

I'm happy to have an ugly pup (from our point of view) if it manages to fund other more interesting cars being developed.

Archived