litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Twitch at speed is it the anti roll bar +air bag light

jako999

Hi all I have a couple of problems my 09 S2 seems to have become a little unstable in a straight line at speed, the slightest ripple in the tarmac seems to unsteady it with a twitch, it feels more like the rear end but it's hard to tell, it feels a bit like when your (if you've ever felt it) really going for it and back off a bit to quick and it all goes a bit light but it's doing it when you still pushing on. It still corners fine.

I had it up in the air this morning and everything looks fine, tight and no play apart from the anti rollbar it won't  move up or down and the drop links feel tight but what you can do if flex it round in a horizontal circle about 5mm in all directions and as you move it the other attached to the other hub moves the same but with less movement, this is the same for both sides. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to see is this normal? If not is it a bush replacement or the whole thing and what about the drop links? The cars now done 40,000 miles but after nearly 10 years that's a lot of pot holes. I'm going to need a new set of rubber in about 2k but for me that's another 6 months but could they be the problem? I know the fronts are around 4 years old and the rears are 2 years old.

My other problem is driving along the other day and for no reason at all the air bag warning came on. First of all is there anything I need to check and how do I reset it? I have an old odb reader that shows no fault (what do I need to buy these days to read and cancel these sort of faults) is it a major problem or can I ignore it? Mind you the it already starting to drive me mad it's like it's staring at me.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They do tend to feel a little lively - it's normal to feel like the steering is following camber changes etc.

If it was me I would take it to Gav's (Unit 4 Vehicle Services) and have him check it out.  He won't charge you a lot. You might as well ask him to have a look round the whole car just to see if anything else is amiss while he has it on the lift for peace of mind. I think he charges £50 + vat for an hour's labour.

If nothing obvious is wrong it could be that the geometry is out - they are sensitive to toe and camber changes.  Does it have oem springs and dampers?

Welcome to mloc by the way.

Dean

As Alex suggested check for any play - or tightness - in toe-link joints, etc.

Also bear in mind that with cold weather, tarmac, etc. the tyres won't necessarily be generating as much heat so grip will be reduced. Most 'summer' tyres don't work below around 7 deg. C due to the compounds used so, coupled with the usual Lotus skittishness and cr*p roads, that's likely to make it feel looser.

I'm assuming you've checked tyre pressures already?

Archived