litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Decided To Sell The Type 49

Phil S1

Just made it home, what a fabulous car, not saying there aren't any little improvements to be made and maybe a bit of polishing too but wow! It seems to draw as much, if not more, attention as the 49, loads of folk waving along the way. I'll post a few photos up later but yes Dave that is the very one.
I've got the chap coming to see the 49 tomorrow (that's another story in itself) so things are a bit hectic just now but I will put a proper post up at some point I promise smile.png

Edited to add a couple of photos in the meantime, just after arriving home, they're only off my phone and a bit shaky but as you can see the car didn't get too dirty on the drive back, that's not to say it won't be getting a wash in the morning though smile.png

IMG_20170121_150440064_HDR_zpstaqqaspj.j

IMG_20170121_150413860_HDR_zpsm33repik.j

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats Phil - looking forward to seeing it, would love a ride in it too as the Evora is on my list for future years.

The grey and black just works so well - best SR colour I think. I prefer the smooth lines to the Evora 400 too.

In fact it looks better on your drive that it did in the advert ;)

Enjoy the polishing (both cars that is!)..

Thank Dave, I'm very much in agreement, although truth be known I did try and persuade Eric to sell me his nightfall blue one, but he was having none of it ;-)

And of course you can have a go in it sometime, it would be my pleasure.

Thank Dave, I'm very much in agreement, although truth be known I did try and persuade Eric to sell me his nightfall blue one, but he was having none of it ;-)

And of course you can have a go in it sometime, it would be my pleasure.

Oh dear, what a shame, I've decided to sell it now.

Only joking - this one is for keeps - love it drool.gif .

Well, today I have officially sold my Type 49, I still have it for a while yet so can go and look at it when I feel the need but the deal is done. And gutted though I'll undoubtedly be to see it go I really couldn't have wished for it to be going to a better home. Graham, the new owner is a proper Lotus enthusiast and has always loved the 'Gold Leaf' colour scheme. To prove the point, today he flew down from Aberdeen to Manchester and hired a car to drive over just to view it, he didn't arrive till after 2:30 this afternoon and won't be getting back home again till around 10pm tonight! Thankfully he loves it so it wasn't a wasted trip. Now he's just got to make an 800 mile round trip with a trailer to pick it up!

Now for the real tale I hinted at previously; Graham who is now the new owner of my Type 49 was in fact the previous owner of my newly acquired Evora SR, so we've effectively swapped cars laugh.png

He had traded the Evora in at Hayton's in Carlisle for an Elise Cup just before Christmas but had an S1 111s as well. Around that same time his 111s was t-boned and subsequently written off, meaning he was on the look out for a replacement. Fate or what?

While I still had the chance I thought I should take a photo of the two together so here we are, out with the old and in with the new:-

IMG_1588_zpsbyuthxcu.jpg

Great story Phil - sounds like it's going to a great home - and you've bought a car that you know has been cherished by a proper enthusiast too :-)

Happy days - enjoy the whole new car thing, there's nothing quite like it.

I'm still a wee bit gutted that I won't see that lovely T49 again but looking forward to drooling over the Evora SR.

Hey Phil,

Great story and smashing car! The Evora looks pretty small in that image, what's it like size wise in the flesh? That's got me drooling over Evoras now....

That is spooky. When did you find out you had married his ex?

laugh.png  When I first enquired about the Evora around New Year I managed to get in touch with Graham to find out more about it's history, he subsequently saw my ad and by the 3rd Jan he was enquiring about mine...the rest is now history as they say smile.png

Hey Phil,

Great story and smashing car! The Evora looks pretty small in that image, what's it like size wise in the flesh? That's got me drooling over Evoras now....

Size wise it's a bit strange. When we first saw it in the flesh in the showroom it looked big although I knew beforehand it was no longer than my Impreza, Once sat inside, lengthwise it didn't feel massively different to my Elise but the rear haunches looked wide in the mirrors. That width is what I'm wary of more than anything just now whilst driving it too. And although it is much easier to get in and out of with the doors fully open, the increased size of the doors when compared to the Elise means there isn't always enough room to open them fully so getting in and out can still be tricky in tight spaces.

Couldn't resist taking it to work today but due to the fog and generally cold and damp conditions I still haven't really opened it up yet but for the little spurts of acceleration I have had the V6 sounds just glorious smile.png

Archived