litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Nlc - Lister Bell Stratos

KurtB

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just found the thread... This LB STRATOS is on my bucket list since seeing one at the kit car show this year at Stoneleigh.

As DrH Says, very impressive engineering, and they recruited from Gardner Douglas I believe, so good CV...

It's a no compromise car , in the same way a Caterham or S1 Elise is really, imho.

For me it's that 'look' , and the nostalgia, there's no car like it ! And a replica can be as good as the original in performance and looks too.

Ariel Nomad does look interesting mind, didn't realise it is a capable on road gadget aswell as

being able to drive up scree slopes !

Who me ?

The Atom isn't exactly an oil painting and tbh only gets a look in from me due to performance figures.

Now this a beauty and Leigh's money would definitely be better spent here...

b43cd2a0eed25c26932bad7b81c3e294.jpg

28251f9a7b2e06e26f6603f4a2d37dcb.jpg

faf74b529b5e8f4fb70b03ce676a4d6f.jpg

Another lover of the LB here. Although after a failed attempt to build an Ultima GTR (lack of time / interest) I would need LB to build me one. Problem is I'm impatient and 12 months + wait would drive me mad lol.

However a friend who has built a GT40 rep put a deposit down the start of the year, so is expecting his chassis in Jan. He's already bought the Alfa V6 donor.

Another lover of the LB here. Although after a failed attempt to build an Ultima GTR (lack of time / interest) I would need LB to build me one. Problem is I'm impatient and 12 months + wait would drive me mad lol.

However a friend who has built a GT40 rep put a deposit down the start of the year, so is expecting his chassis in Jan. He's already bought the Alfa V6 donor.

Dave,

Would you be willing to run a thread on here giving updates to his progress? What GT40 replica kit did he choose? My father in law is contemplating a GT40 as a retirement project, but we need to do a little research first.

Cheers,

Kurt

Hi Kurt

Im the friend of Dave in the above thread.  I placed an order for my LB back in February and hoping to get it around Dec/Jan. Going to start rebuilding my Alfa 3.0 V6 engine first. it will have Jenvey throttle bodies, piper cams and a bit more compression , should be good for around 290BHP and sound just magic! The car will be red with the gold coffin spoke alloys with the wide group 4 round arches.

I also have a GT40 replica and a Noble M12. If you going to build a GT40 i strongly recommend the Southern GT40. It is around £10K more to build than a Tornado (which i have), but the engineering is superb; the suspension geometry is properly sorted to really make it handle right. The Tornado isnt a bad car , but the extra touches to the SGT make it the choice at the moment.

Be very aware that you could probabley build 2  lister bells in the time it will take you to do a GT40. The bodywork is very hard!

That engine spec is exactly what I'd go for. Reckon high 200s HP is just right. I think the finished cars weight around the 900-950kg mark

New pistons for increased compression or head skim? Do they need anything doing to the rods/crank/valves etc to get this power?

This isn't helping guys.Chassis deposit is only £500 and an Donor 166 can be easily had for less than a grand.......must....resist.

How difficult it the mechanical / electrical build do you think? I'd leave the bodywork to someone else!

Just a head skim to increase the compression up one point. Entire bottom end is standard. LB do a service where by they will prefit your body provided you take the chassis to them when you are ready for it to ensure it fits right out of the mould.

The stratos enthusiast club is a really fantastic club/forum . If you pay to join the club you get access to lots of build logs with lots of people to help. Thats what im counting on, im no mechanic just an enthusiastic amature! The mechanical build seems to be very easy if you buy all the parts from LB. The tricky bit is rebuilding the alfa engine and sorting our the engine management , particularly if you go for an aftermarket ECU to work with the throttle bodies. Again there are people on the forum to help.

Archived