28th - 30th June 2024

Nlc - Lister Bell Stratos

KurtB

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is one of only 2 kit cars I would consider, the other being a GT40

Make sure you got for 5 bolt hubs like the originals

Same here Dennis, I reckon the Stratos would be my first choice of the two though, such a great shape.

It's actually south of Newark Leigh, not far from RAF Syerston. I'm going to go there with my mate in his Delta Integrale, just to get in the mood...

I've been reading loads of road tests in the last hour and can conclude ithat they sound more compromised than my Exige. I just hope I don't fit, is too cramped, uncomfortable etc

I'm still alive, I just need some time to take it all in, as I've literally not stopped since coming away from it all. How I ever had time to go to work I'll never know! Full report to follow (hopefully tomorrow morning). In brief, the product is very very good, the owner was a lovely chap, though sadly no images to speak of. More tomorrow, I'm bushed :-)

Seems to be a Stratos thing going on. Thread on SELOC about Man Caves has turned to a Startos love-in after a picture of one in someone's garage cropped up.

Look forward to hearing about it.

Ok, Pt 1:

We arrived in my mates Integrale to a corrugated cow shed, and had a peep in. We were welcomed by Craig (proprietor) and Lydia, and offered drinks. In the workshop (I don't know if it actually had been a cow shed), there were 3 cars in build with bodies fitted and a customer car in for an pre IVA check. It was in thousands of pieces!

In the middle of the 3 workshops there was the wiring and fibreglassing area. Craig admitted it was all a bit haphazard in layout which I put down to the shear amount of work they are doing, taking orders for more kits and bespoke work for non Lister Bell Stratos replicas. They really are busy.

In the furthest section of the building, they had 2 chassis jigs with both with assemblies in them. Another chassis sat on blocks on the workshop floor. The chassis are mainly produced for Alfa Romeo V6's in 2.5, 3.0 and 3.2l sizes, and there is more work for the Supercharged Toyota V6 as in the Exige V6, though that's mainly for markets where the Alfa doesn't have dealerships. 

Craig told me that they are looking to take on another fabricator to the team (I counted 4 employees inc Craig) which should allow them to make nearly 2 chassis a month. This will bring down waiting time for kits, the current back order is 15 chassis and 12 months until your chassis would be laid down. Staying with the chassis, it's a work of art, all mandrel bent and laser cut. The sheet materials are laser cut and folded off site. The welds are really good and the car is evolving over time to ensure the product is continually developed for the better. 

There is a choice of 3 rear body panels (clams), the Stradale (Road Car), and Group 4 square arch (just as the stradale but wider) and the round arch which is a bit like an S1 Exige rear arch, a bit "bubbly". The quality of the GRP work is pretty good, but Craig is struggling with a couple of the moulds, but he's sorting them out. He's made it all himself, having worked for GD Cars, Ultima and a few other kit manufacturers since 1989. He seems to be the go to man when it comes to Stratos reps. 

Sorry, toddler trouble, i'll have to conclude much later, she should be sleeping

Sorry guys...

Lister Bell Visit, Part Deux!

Craig spent a good hour and a half chatting with Pete and me, showing us the Stradale and Group 4 dashes and instrument details. It seems that the Ferrari Dino instrument set is ideal, including the scarce oil pressure gauge, but they really are hens teeth. Lister do their own (all images etc can be found on their website), and Craig also explained the work arounds they have to do with the IVA process, which is why they recommend you take the car back to them.

The car that was in lots of pieces had a lot of issues to rectify despite being newly constructed. He didn't list what was wrong, but he did say that the brake system had a leak or two. Again, issues like that are now overcome by putting in minimal joints and lots of braided brake lines through the car, i.e. no copper fittings at all. 

I managed to sit in a car to check for fit and Craig made me aware immediately that I was "long in the back", which I know is correct. I noted the driving position isn't as offset as I'd imagined (and nowhere near as awful as a Ginetta G12 I once went in), and this is another area they're developing by offsetting the gear change and handbrake to allow the drivers seat to be slightly more central and reduce offset to an absolute minimal. I found that the seat was extremely comfortable (their own design) and without helmet or a roof lining I could trap my flat hand between head and roof, so it's not that roomy above me. I also observed that the top bar of the cage was only a couple of inches from the side of my head. If the cage was fitted with standard pipe lagging I'd be constantly resting my head against it and that's not ideal. I'm not sure I'd be happy with the 5mm trim foam that goes over the cage in the standard road LB. Now, IF I get a couple of vertebra removed...

All in all, I think they have a great product. I'm not sure the 300 hour build time would be that short for me and I'd have to throw the car back to them for the electrical set up. I think if you have the time and money I could heartily recommend one but I'd like a test drive first. I think it's a classic case of what you put in, you get out. The more you're willing to invest in time and money, the better the car will be. I'm out purely because of the head/cage proximity, but they did say they could lower the floor to help sort the issue. 

So, who's going to look into it more deeply?

Cheers,

Kurt

His legs are 3ft and his back is 6ft 1....

** In my head anyway...

My middle leg is just a rumour Scatty, shhhhhh ;-)

I'm 6'1" Leigh, but I have a good couple of inches bias to my back. If my legs matched my back I'd be 6'3.5 I believe (boring medical story to back up this claim).

Sorry it wasn't the best write up, too many distractions. Including the Ariel Nomad...

Archived