litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Nlc - Lister Bell Stratos

KurtB

OK, the Exige is off the road undergoing a suspension refresh and my fickle mind is already cheating on it. Although I'll never sell it (and I truly mean that), I'm drawn to cars of similar value that offer similar excitement.

My current crush is the Lister Bell Lancia Stratos replica. The full kit costs £30k, then you need to find a 3.0 Alfa to donate its engine and identity, then you end up with a 70's wedge with lots of lights and garish colour schemes. And a chance for the back end to overtake the front if you even think of lifting off.

As Lister Bell are registered in Farndon, Newark, I wonder if any of you have any experience with the car or company?

Cheers,

Kurt

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw one of these on a car show it was a nightmare it may even have been topgear

Yes I saw that too. That wasn't a Lister Bell but a Hawk Stratos that had been laid up for 4 years or so and quickly recommissioned for the show. The owner of Hawk cars was very upset about it and it REALLY damaged his business. It's all out there in Internet land.

Kurt you have impeccable taste! I've been secretly lusting for one of these for quite a while after seeing the Steve Sutcliffe video when he drove one.

I used to walk past an original lime green one (with red interior) when I went to college. It was parked outside a solicitors office. Ever since then I've wanted one. Such an awesome shape.

I mean- what's not to like about this!

We saw a few at Stoneleigh, even mrs scatty commented how cool they were...

I've seen one around nottingham albeit a few years ago, it looked amazing...

As with any kit car, buy one that is already built and (correctly) registered. Then rebuild it to your requirements, far cheaper.

Sorry I just remember seeing something but this is a different one, I agree buy one done and tweak it I did a Westfield from scratch great fun but lost around 5k at point of sale

Absolutely stunning piece of machinery, a legendary shape. Like Leigh says, what's not to like? Great review by Steve Sutcliffe, just makes me want one even more. The only thing I'd be a bit concerned about would be resale I guess, but hey...when you own a Stratos you probably shouldn't worry about these things :)

I think it'd have to be a keeper Dave. I've made an appointment to go for a sit in one on Thursday. Now, keep the Exige or plumb for a Stratos kit, hmmm....

I think it'd have to be a keeper Dave. I've made an appointment to go for a sit in one on Thursday. Now, keep the Exige or plumb for a Stratos kit, hmmm....

Hi Kurt

May I draw your attention to your very first post on this thread.....and I quote..."Although I'll never sell it (and I truly mean that)"...unquote...LOL!!!

Mark

LOL! The wife is chipping in now, saying I do this every few months! I won't really sell it Mark, but I have a massive illness in that I am FICKLE beyond belief! I've owned 60 odd cars (and I'm only 41) so have wandering eyes! I am sooooo very weak when it comes to cars, and often say, "There are so many cars, a finite amount of money and ONLY ONE LIFE"! Harummmppppphhhhh!

There are so many cars, a finite amount of money and ONLY ONE LIFE

Man maths at its best, and no numbers in sight!

Go for it - get the deal done and bring it to Chatsworth. Imagine all of us gawping at it (though you may not win car of the day....)

Man maths at its best, and no numbers in sight!

Go for it - get the deal done and bring it to Chatsworth. Imagine all of us gawping at it (though you may not win car of the day....)

I'm properly chuckling now, you're so very correct! I'd love to get it all done and dusted like that, but there's a small issue of my S1 Exige having a ride height of 350mm (front and rear) while I await suspension bits from the sandblaster, put it all back together, get bored of it (as if?), sell it, buy a LB STR Kit, build it, register it, and get it to Chatsworth before mid July? I think you may have got at least degree level man maths, to my lowly 11 plus... ;-)

Archived