litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Mintex 1144

chrislane

Ok so i know that brake pads is probably a similar topic to tyres in terms of dividing personal opinions, so i'll try to make it fairly specific.

I've read quite a few threads on here and seloc and come to the conclusion that mintex 1144s sound like a good option to swap from my current greenstuff pads (which are frankly dreadful).

Major pluses - well suited to road use (i may do one or two trackdays this summer but that will be all and no certainties), good from cold (most of my driving is 5 miles in to work and 5 miles home and then weekend blasts), a lot cheaper (half the price) compared to cl and pagid options.

Negatives - lots of brake dust, not as good on track

Is there anything that i have missed or has anyone had any bad experiences with them that it would be good to know about?

I have seen them at £120 for a full set from eliseparts shich seems a very good price compared to elsewhere. Is there anywhere else likely to be any cheaper?

Cheers

Chris

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about 1155's? Less dusty, about as good as the 1144's with less brake fade. Oh and for best results, change your disks too as new pads on old disks will not give you the full benefit of the new pads.

£120 is a good price. that crn products in chesterfield i was on about, who are usually loads cheaper can only do them at £117...

one of my pals works for some car parts place that does pads and the likes, ive just emailed him for a price. see if he can do them any cheaper......

i would have thought they would be ideal for your usage chris....

Ok so i know that brake pads is probably a similar topic to tyres in terms of dividing personal opinions, so i'll try to make it fairly specific.

I've read quite a few threads on here and seloc and come to the conclusion that mintex 1144s sound like a good option to swap from my current greenstuff pads (which are frankly dreadful).

Major pluses - well suited to road use (i may do one or two trackdays this summer but that will be all and no certainties), good from cold (most of my driving is 5 miles in to work and 5 miles home and then weekend blasts), a lot cheaper (half the price) compared to cl and pagid options.

Negatives - lots of brake dust, not as good on track

Is there anything that i have missed or has anyone had any bad experiences with them that it would be good to know about?

I have seen them at £120 for a full set from eliseparts shich seems a very good price compared to elsewhere. Is there anywhere else likely to be any cheaper?

Cheers

Chris

I race on the Mintex 1166 pads and really recommend all of them. The 1144's are really good road pads but will fade after hard use. The 1155's are fine for road use and should last on a track day and the 1166's should really perform on track, but don't put them on a road car unless you drive like me! :)

Saying that, I always fit 1155's to my road cars.

As for the price, that is about as good as it gets. We sell them about the same here.

Also, make sure you change your discs at the same time as mentioned.

Thanks,

Mike

I have 1144 on front and 1155 on back, 1155 are in my opinion noticeably sharper than 1144s but I find the balance for me quiet nice I. If I need to change my front I'll end up putting 1155s on, only thing I noticed is you get a fair bit of notice from the pads from time to time and sound like your a race car pulling up to the grid

I've got yellowstuff on mine at the moment and found them okay as an all round pad, not as sharp as the 1144's I ran previously but way less dusty. I've never been one for last minute braking though so I probably don't push them as much as others. After saying all that, I think I might try some Pagids next time round.

Chris I have 1144s all round and am really happy with them. You can try them on Saturday if you want.

Great value at that money too.

BTW you don't need new discs. In a perfect world, maybe, or if your discs are badly worn, but otherwise don't worry. I didn't buy new discs when I fitted mine (sorry when gav fitted mine - you don't think I would seriously get involved in spannering nonsense do you? I care about my car - I would only ruin it) a year ago and have had no problems.

They do fade a wee bit on track days though if you cane 'em (which I know you would). And they are dirty bastards. You Yorkshire folk don't like that do you - so that is may be a consideration.

Dean

You Yorkshire folk don't like that do you - so that is may be a consideration.

Wrong Chris - I am less prone to getting lost!

Thanks for the advice guys - I think i am going to go for these

My disks are looking ok so i will probably stick with them and change the pads - its not like the existing pads are dead, i have just lost all confidence in them.

Having used Carbone Lorraine pads on my car, performance wise I would never use anything else. 2 issues though, the RC6's squeal like hell (I believe the RC5+s have got rid of this issue though) and they do eat discs.

I would go for RC5+'s in future. Expensive though, but you don't have to worry about them on track or having to warm up from cold.

Bit late into this topic Chris, but I went from Brembo's to 1144's and wouldn't go back and then went from 1144's to CL RC5+'s and definitely won't go back!

The CL's bite is so much better over the 1144's, and they are less dusty which is a known problem (not problem, but effect) of the Mintex's.

Also the CL's seem to work a lot better for longer at higher temps. I've had a fair bit of fade on the 1144's towards the end of track days - just when you need the brakes more, and have felt the difference of the CL's is mega. I've read they are as good as Pagids, but don't squeal like a cat trapped in a door lol

1144's are great, but if you can afford the CL's next time, go for those.

I was considering going to CLs next time round but have been put off but a number of issues on seloc with them crumbling and even shearing off from their backplates.

Archived