litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Brake Pads - Different Front To Rear?

DeanB

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve I haven't checked the master cylinder but I will ask Gav to have a look when it goes in for service.

Jody have you ever felt the rears lock up with the RC6s on the rear? (I'm thinking of Kieran's cryptic comment above!). That's what I'm afraid of really. At the end of the day I'm not competing and not timing laps so it seems daft to run it on the edge.

Hahaha it wasn't meant to be.

Someone pulled out on us last time I went out with Jody for a spin. They worked a treat. You definitely feel the rear biting a touch more but I wouldn't say it felt wrong from the short run out I had.

Dean, i have always done mine the old way. You need to have a well trained wife on the pedal though. Works well enough if you are just flushing through the system. Pump the pedal to build pressure and release the bleed screw. Hold the pedal down whilst tightening the bleed screw again and repeat.

You have to start at the one furthest from the master cylinder and work you way towards it IIRC. Dont forget to do the clutch slave cylinder as well.

Yet another vote for RBF600 heat mine is due a change after 6 or 7 trackdays.

Full brake set up on mine is:

Braided hoses

Ferodo DS2500 pads all round

Ebc ultimax discs on rear

308mm discs on front.

The pads are brilliant once you've got some heat on track, on the road more than adequate for my driving style.

Andy where are you buddy?

I have the same set-up as Jody, CL5+ on the front and CL6 on the rear.... Initial road test frighted the s**t out of me as the back end locked up slightly before the fronts, However once bedded in and on track they were/are superb, Very happy with the performance and stability :tup:

I have the same set-up as Jody, CL5+ on the front and CL6 on the rear.... Initial road test frighted the s**t out of me as the back end locked up slightly before the fronts, However once bedded in and on track they were/are superb, Very happy with the performance and stability thumbs_up.gif

I'm running std. calipers all round (fronts are brand new) and the discs are Eliseparts with ali-bells.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm resurrecting this thread because I have just treated myself (well it is my birthday on Tuesday! ) to a pair of 308 mil discs (thanks Andy). They are nearly new and weren't dear. I have decided to put these on the front with the RC5+ pads and swap my nearly new front discs on to the rear with new RC6 pads.

I reckon it will stop quicker than I can shut my laptop when Marie comes in the room!

RC5 ??? You have been reading the various SELOC threads, have you ?

Brave man...

RC5 ??? You have been reading the various SELOC threads, have you ?

Brave man...

Edit. Unless the RC5+ are different to the RC5.

This is my second set of RC5s Dobbo and I've had no problems. I have read the threads and I am prepared to take the risk - I think it is very small if you keep the car indoors and don't park it with wet brakes and especially if you don't get road salt on them.

This is my second set of RC5s Dobbo and I've had no problems. I have read the threads and I am prepared to take the risk - I think it is very small if you keep the car indoors and don't park it with wet brakes and especially if you don't get road salt on them.

I have used a fair few sets of RC5+ front and rear and never had a problem. I will continue to use them till i do. I also never put the car away with wet brakes or leave the hand brake on if possible. Im not saying they are not without problems but i can only go on my own experiences.

Fair enough, as long as you've seen the info you can make an informed decision.

Personally, with my use of the car, I wouldn't be risking it, but I understand why you're both happy with them.

Archived