litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Elise Shop 308mm brake disks

robinchild

Hi Everyone,

I have noticed that Elise Shop are selling 308mm alloy belled brake disk for the S2 and S3 elise for just under 400 euros, Has anyone bought a set of these? it seems almost to good to be true, I guess postage and import taxes will increase the cost of these?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is true but as I want to do some track days next year I really need to upgrade the brakes, the car is running nearly 3 times its original power and the standard ones seem barely good enough for the road. Although this is probably due to still having mmc disks on the rear. (I like them as they don't corrode up due to the little use it gets in the winter)  I currently have elise parts alloy belled disks and red stuff pads on the front. I should have room for bigger front disks as I am running 16" wheels on S2 hubs, the rear I will probably fit the alloy belled standard sized disks. It would be interesting to know if anyone else has run a supercharged k20 on track and what setup they used?

I think I'm right in saying that Lotus oem spec on the Cup 250 Elise is 288mm?  They are 250 bhp so a bit less than yours, but the car weighs maybe 180 kilos more than yours?

I would try standard size discs first, because bigger discs add a lot of unsprung weight which is bad for steering and handling and so on. If you can afford them ally belled discs are better but I would look at Elise Parts versions first, or AP if you have really deep pockets.  I would suggest you try new pad material as that will make the biggest difference, and go for a higher friction pad on the rear - I use CL RC5+ on the front and RC6 on the rear. It works great - gets the rears to do a lot more.

If that doesn't work then try shorter stints(!) or AP 4 pot calipers on the front as Lotus offered as an option on the exige.  I think the guy at Seriously Lotus knows a lot about brakes so he would be worth a call.

Good luck!

Having now ran mine with the Honda engine in I felt much happier running the RC6 pads in the front and rear.

Much more bite and feel.

This is with 295's upfront and standard size on the rear, with ally bells.

Not sure you really need any more than that unless going to 4 pots on the front.

Running MMC's at the rear and red stuff on the front i am surprised it stops at all!

Hey Dean, yes I’ve done two Blyton days and a day at Curbourgh.

bloody awesome! It really has made such a difference! It drives easily through town and when opened up is immense! 
Lotus should of used the Honda K!

how are you doing mate? Been awhile now!

On 27/10/2021 at 19:50, jody391 said:

Hey Dean, yes I’ve done two Blyton days and a day at Curbourgh.

bloody awesome! It really has made such a difference! It drives easily through town and when opened up is immense! 
Lotus should of used the Honda K!

how are you doing mate? Been awhile now!

Fab!

All fully sorted then?  Would love a ride in it sometime.

I'm good mate thanks, busy with building work at home. Lots of decorating to do!

• 2 months later...

Robin Child

- as above - get some decent 295 Ali-bells up front (don’t for get the calliper spacers) with CL5+ and bells & CL6 Rears. Go for AP, Alcon or PFC depending on budget - if in a stretch consider EP rotors and the like if you have too but pads are key compared to what you have.

You will be pleasantly surprised and be careful jabbing the brakes when the need arises - it will lock the fronts easily - the Red stuff pads are probably ok for pottering to the supermarket ..

Dave @ seriously Lotus does track days etc himself, so has some good experience, doesn’t do PFC tho, and remember he is a sales / business man too :D 

Archived