litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Isle of Mann

richbk

Afternoon all.

has anyone ever taken there lotus fo the IOM? I will be visiting this year to see my Godson who is just starting a new job as a helicopter pilot on the island and trying to work out of the ferry price is worth it over sleazy jet to have use of the car over there ??

cheers

rich

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I work every year in IOM I usually take ferry but drive my company car 

the roads are very thrilling as generally you tend to use the TT routes especially those over the mountain pass going from Douglas to Ramsey 

a few guys on TLF go regular for a blast in their Lotus cars or other makes and proclaim a fab time 

while the TT routes are not speed restricted when you hit the towns/villages there can be brutal speed cameras so be warned 

best avoid TT time as the place is normally stacked with visitors etc I tend to go either late summer or October 

Just check what flights are available ? There used to be flights from East Mids which was axed then I think Birmingham went same way which leave Liverpool or Manchester or London and if you need to drive to north west might as well carry on to ferry port ? 

• 1 month later...

Personally I would go from Heysham not Liverpool. Getting on and off Liverpools ferry ramp will be a nightmare in a Lotus, ( well it would have been in my Exige where the front splitter sat on the garage floor for its mot brake test ) but either way you will thoroughly enjoy the experience, I cannot recommend the Isle enough

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to remember when a group of us went from Liverpool in 2010 the loading staff were very good at placing additional wooden ramps etc to alleviate the problem. I recall we all snaked on one wheel at a time! Must have looked hilarious to the (waiting) queue behind us! 

IMG_0662.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Three times taken my Elise there. It's great! Some great quiet roads. No speed limit in many places. Over the mountain. Just avoid TT & Manx periods.

• 3 weeks later...

I disagree about avoiding the TT times. Get out crazy early and although a little damp, the mountain is one way. It’s like your own race track that’s repeatable over and over again. 

Also the atmosphere on the island at that time is electric with so many people there. Just find a local to follow and they’ll get you around the crowds when you want to get somewhere. 

Have taken the elise about 7 times now over to the IOM with the Seloc expeditions. Absolutely great place to take the car for its natural habitat on some superb roads. The Sloc being one that’s a must.

We have always taken the cars over from Liverpool on the fast cat & never encountered any problems boarding the vessel. The crew are well used to making sure the cars don’t encounter any damage regardless of tidal levels.

We always tend to go 2 weeks after the TT as everything is pretty much still in place with the barriers etc although always best to check on other island events such as the Parish walk etc as these can incur some road closers.

You won’t be disappointed.

Maybe food for thought for an MLOC expedition?

• 6 months later...

Looks as I need to go to IOM in the next few weeks for work 

as I probably won’t be taking the wife I can take the Evora over instead of company hybrid car , take the ferry and have an afternoon of fun driving before going back to mainland 🚗😁

• 1 month later...
On 10/02/2022 at 09:32, CDM2018 said:

Looks as I need to go to IOM in the next few weeks for work 

as I probably won’t be taking the wife I can take the Evora over instead of company hybrid car , take the ferry and have an afternoon of fun driving before going back to mainland 🚗😁

You’ve got to drive the Sloc whilst you’re over there👍

49 minutes ago, s2john said:

You’ve got to drive the Sloc whilst you’re over there👍

Sloc ? Not sure what this refers ?

I drive TT route especially mountain section from Ramsey to Douglas 

Archived