litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Front clam respray - Recommendations please

Daveb99

A belated Happy New Year to everyone I know on MLOC - and also to those I don't....

As some of you will know I have a Mustard Yellow metallic Elise S1, which I bought in September last year.   I've been working my way around it and will soon be at the point where it goes off for paint.   It's only the front clam - the second owner had a very minor scrape in his works car park, and it had some localised paint blown in over the front wheel arch many years ago.   Problem is, the paint match is not great - so it ideally needs the whole clam doing and probably just blending into the doors.

So far I've taken it to Frank at Option 1, who is of course one of the very best in the business apparently, and he's quoted me £950 + VAT for the above, with the blending into the doors.   The advantage of going to Frank is that (a) I know I'll get a great job done, and (b) he can get the screen replaced at the same time (insurance job) as it has very large chips on the passenger side.

I may well end up going down that route, but given that the car is a high miler and I'm still having thoughts about getting it on track, I'd like to try and keep my costs down with the paint.   Does anyone know any other places within say 150 miles of Leicester/Coventry that have extensive experience working with fibreglass, and have done plenty of Elises before?    

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve said it before Dave, any sprayer worth his salt with previous fibreglass repair experience can do it. It’s just finding one these days that can be bothered to do the job properly. Front clam and blend doors I reckon would be around £600+. After going through what I went through with Edmonds it would have been worth paying the extra going to Option 1. I’ve since found a chap in Chesterfield who is very good but not worth the hassle for you to bring it that far. Take it to option 1 and get the screen sorted, then you’re all sorted with zero stress. I ended up going to small claims!

Despite the above, I would have suggested speaking to Edmonds. They have extensive experience with fibreglass, Lotus work and restoration. They're at Caldwell, nr. Swadlincote. Alternatively MRH Autos in Lichfield have Lotus experience from repairs to full restoration. Number is 01543 252296.

6 hours ago, timbo said:

Don't all Unit 4 bodywork jobs go elsewhere for all work, nor just final prep & spraying - he used to send to Edmonds but I believe this may have changed?

He doesn't recommend anyone now after a couple of bad experiences, mine included unfortunately.

7 hours ago, The Cakes said:

He doesn't recommend anyone now after a couple of bad experiences, mine included unfortunately.

How did you get on with that eventually? As I recall there was some thought about a claim against the body shop?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies.....I appreciated the recommendations and have been calling the various body shops to discuss etc.

Al / Drage......I reckon if you saw the paint as it is now you’d be wanting it painted as well !   It’s a really crap match where a previous owner had a cheap place repair a car park scrape on the wheelarch and blow in some paint.   Stands out a mile in daylight.    I do intend to do a few track days now and again........honest 😉

Archived