litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Job Interview

trev1988

Used to play golf for a living and for the last 13 years I've run my own footwear retail business, which is now mainly online. I agree with an earlier comment if you like stress, start your own business!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Master Locksmith of 23+ years and part time 'Sold Secure' attack tester (I get to hit all manner of vehicle locks with a hammer etc.).

Sounds like a great job Kieran......I spent a year working in Germany over 20 years ago whilst at Uni and seriously miss the beer - damned fine stuff ! Needless to say I still have a large collection of German beer glasses.....

Cheers Dave it has its moments...

If you need anymore let me know I go 5 times a year normally.

I work on the maintenance at JLR. I fix / break everything from small pumps, motors, conveyor systems and also bugger up the odd robot on a good day    smile.png

A bad day is cutting up a Range Rover shell that has floated off in a paint tank. A good day is watching loads of cars being built. The variety is fantastic as i get bored very easily   smile.png

Coincidentally, I work as a Planner for the construction company that is doing most of the new building work at JLR at the moment.  Though I am not based on that site.  Hope they are not causing too much disruption !

I work on the maintenance at JLR. I fix / break everything from small pumps, motors, conveyor systems and also bugger up the odd robot on a good day :)

A bad day is cutting up a Range Rover shell that has floated off in a paint tank. A good day is watching loads of cars being built. The variety is fantastic as i get bored very easily :)

Hi martin

Do you know of WIGGO ?? he has been retired now a few years also would you know of Dave Flynn who does work for maintanence through his company NUGEARS ?

That's 3 of us with regards the stress thing.

Electric fires and fireplaces. A family and friendly business with great employees. We pride ourselves on our service, 20 years worth goes to show....

Started a business in 2000 manufacturing Magnesium powder for use in countermeasures. Had some good years then foreign competition in a niche market and changes in technology led to reducing sales. Managed to sell the business last year.

Isn't it just amazing the lack of support given,by the government and the MOD, to small companies making a strategic product. They allowed the companies that took our product to buy outside the UK. Whereas in the USA, where we tried to sell into, we were told we are only allowed to buy strategic product from homeland companies. Sorry rant over.....

Glad to be out of it now , agree with the stress, plus the ever present danger of being blown to bits every day. 

Currently trying to decide what to do next

David

Started a business in 2000 manufacturing Magnesium powder for use in countermeasures. Had some good years then foreign competition in a niche market and changes in technology led to reducing sales. Managed to sell the business last year.

Isn't it just amazing the lack of support given,by the government and the MOD, to small companies making a strategic product. They allowed the companies that took our product to buy outside the UK. Whereas in the USA, where we tried to sell into, we were told we are only allowed to buy strategic product from homeland companies. Sorry rant over.....

Glad to be out of it now , agree with the stress, plus the ever present danger of being blown to bits every day. 

Currently trying to decide what to do next

David

I wish you luck David and empathise. I know the MoD would sell it's own mother to make a quick buck. They have a VERY short memory when it comes to procurement and making mistakes, Lions, Donkey's and Dinosaurs is a cracking read. I'd better not start ranting, there's not enough megagigaterrabytes on MLOC to deal with my word count!! Good luck fella.

Kurt

Car stylist (not sure about the word as designer is used for engineer here) for a famous british brand ( with heavy wings) for two years now, not much to say about the life before but being a dumb student .. 

Service engineer for ABB, working on gas analysers mostly for emissions monitoring but some are used in process control as well.

It means I get to go all the lovely places like waste water treatment plants, household waste incinerators, petro-chem sites,cement works and power stations.

self employed and stressed run a small firm repairing domestic appliances , we have been going for 30 years ( father set firm up) so must be doing something right, although every year it seems tougher wacko.png mad.gif unsure.png

Archived