litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Tall Elise Drivers

aran

Other than thin soled shoes, which I wouldn't drive the car without, I also found cruise control was a major blessing on motorways as it meant I could move my legs around.  I guess this depends on which variant you go for, as I'm not sure when it became available (minimum guess would be later Toyota engined cars with electronic throttle control)

OEM Lotus Cruise Control became available with the T6 ECU... so available as an option on S3 Elise onwards (with the exception of the last hoorah for the Toyota 2ZZ), S3 Exige and Evora platforms.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OEM Lotus Cruise Control became available with the T6 ECU... so available as an option on S3 Elise onwards (with the exception of the last hoorah for the Toyota 2ZZ), S3 Exige and Evora platforms.

Ha - was just about to post the same thing.  Only down side is that its a bit awkward to use and can be enabled by accident because the buttons are right at the end of the indicator stalk.  Blimey cruise control on an Elise - what next - a driverless Elise?????  Aghhhhh, nnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooo!!

Blimey cruise control on an Elise - what next - a driverless Elise????? Aghhhhh, nnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooo!!

Well radar for emergency brake assist is likely the next Abs, or airbag.

Type approval drives all this stuff :(

Nice to see there are quite a few tall drivers owning an elise, I need to go find one and give it another go or even a test drive cool.png

best bet is to pop along to a local meet, check "events" tab to see where they meet and there will likely be all types of Elises there with different seats and steering wheel set ups....Biggest gathering will be "Lotus in the Peak" at Chatsworth 17th July check out the posts under it's own section

I'm 6'3, and the biggest problem I find is that the edge of the sill is hard edged and really uncomfortable in the S2 and newer. (The S1 is better in this regard, despite the deeper sills)

As Stik says no way I can sit with my legs out straight, so you end up resting your right leg on the sill, and coming at the pedal from an angle.

Now I have got used to it, I don't find the position itself as uncomfortable. However if doing long trips I tend to pad that area of the sill with a jumper or similar. to prevent constant knocking of the outside of my shins.

Other than thin soled shoes, which I wouldn't drive the car without, I also found cruise control was a major blessing on motorways as it meant I could move my legs around.  I guess this depends on which variant you go for, as I'm not sure when it became available (minimum guess would be later Toyota engined cars with electronic throttle control)

Overall I find the car comfortable enough, to the point my longest single day driving the car saw 600 miles go past wink.png

600 miles!  That's pretty hardcore.  The thing that stops me doing long journeys is the noise rather than physical discomfort, i actually find them pretty comfortable for long periods.  It's just that after about 200mi i stop at a services and realise i have that disconcerting sensation you used to get after a long night out, where everything sounds wooly and distant :s   Did you have some sort of ear protection when you did that trip?

@Stik I just had some basic ear plugs.

TBH I probably did my hearing no good at all over the course of my trip (I did 4k miles in 10 days).  The real problem roads were the motorways / autobahns (150mph with the roof off is stupidly loud).  Smaller roads where you get to vary the throttle position, and it's not a continuous drone,  I found nowhere near so bad.

In general I was doing 150 miles between breaks to take in scenery and stuff,  I'm planning a similar (distance) trip this year, and will probably come back deaf :)

@Stik I just had some basic ear plugs.

TBH I probably did my hearing no good at all over the course of my trip (I did 4k miles in 10 days).  The real problem roads were the motorways / autobahns (150mph with the roof off is stupidly loud).  Smaller roads where you get to vary the throttle position, and it's not a continuous drone,  I found nowhere near so bad.

In general I was doing 150 miles between breaks to take in scenery and stuff,  I'm planning a similar (distance) trip this year, and will probably come back deaf smile.png

pardon....didn't quite hear that

Archived