litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Dear Wife. Gone to garage. Back in Spring

MrWill

Forgot to say, if anyone is looking to get their alloys refurbed/powder coated I’ve just had mine done at AP tyres in Rotherham. Amazing job, £70 for 17” wheel (satin) would have been £57 if gloss finish. They did one of my BMW diamond cut alloys as well and good as new 🙌🏻🙌🏻

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Dear wife nearly ready to come out of the garage... 

It's great to read about what everyone's getting up to; getting ready for the good weather.  I'm Just waiting for a proalloy fuel tank to arrive then this months winter fettling will be over and I'll be ready for one of Ray and Duncs Sunday runs in the peaks.

Didn't think I did much but... 

Cleaned up underneath of dash - spotless.  New alcantara dash and wheel centre - nice. Painted horn surround - like new. Hardwired in dash cam. Replaced broken plastic internal lights bracket with home made Ali one. Seats out and all interior cleaned. Modified elise parts gear lever so is now adjustable from short shift to something halfway between that and standard - to see if I can sort out a truculent 2nd gear.  Cleaned and por15 the sheer panel - like new. New gear cable abutment bracket. New front grille brackets. New pagid 4-2 front pads - see if they are up to much? Some subtle lotus stickers on the wheels....and the alloy fuel tank ready to fit.  All very satisfying even if its mostly all unnoticeable - which is annoying when trying to explain (justify) to wife what I've been doing in there all that time. 

One thing drove me bonkers and I gave up on. The constantly on fog light tell tale on the dash - mot failure. Both dash and lights module bench tested and confirmed it was the elise parts rear led lights. Plug in the normal bulb rear lights and all is fine. Replaced the lights resistor, added resistors... still the same.  I just don't think the oem lights are modern enough for the car.  One to many wines of an evening resulted in the purchase of gregs race parts rear lights. I suspect they will take a year to arrive due to covid 19 but we'll see how we get on... At least that's one change thing that will be actually noticeable and give my better half the opportunity to say 'is that it? Why did that take you so long to fit?'

Grrr... 🤐

Excellent work, good to hear you've nearly finished, but I'm starting to wonder now whether we may have all shot ourselves in the foot. With nothing left to do on our Lotus cars and the impending likelihood of self isolation we may end up having to do some decorating :( 😆

• 5 weeks later...

Regarding your fog lamp tell tale, I used 2 off 1k ohm resistors, put one on each rear lamp connector, this gave enough resistance to turn off the tell tale when I fitted the OEM LED rear lights

9 hours ago, jbs_type25 said:

Regarding your fog lamp tell tale, I used 2 off 1k ohm resistors, put one on each rear lamp connector, this gave enough resistance to turn off the tell tale when I fitted the OEM LED rear lights

Hello there jbs_type 25

I'm a bit out of my depth on the electrical side so this is very helpful thank you.  Especially as I still have not got to the bottom of this yet. Resistors seem to come different wattage ratings - Which wattage did you use? 

Thanks

Will

18 hours ago, jbs_type25 said:

Thank you!  A picture would be great, very much appreciated. 👍

Soldering in the resistors as recommended didn't make a jot of distance to the fog light tell tales on the switch and the dash - both still constantly on although lights still work as normal. I've had enough...oem lights are back in - problem solved.

Set of eliseparts led rear lights will be on sale soon at bargain price. 

• 4 weeks later...

… I told her I'd be back in Spring.  

One of the benefits of being part the skeleton crew at work is the opportunity to take the Elise out to see if everything works now it's all back together!... that and parking where the chuff I want in a private underground carpark normally reserved for senior managers and Board members.

It's great to be back behind the wheel 😃 but driving to work is never going to be the same as meeting up for a Sunday morning blatt in the Peaks following the dust clouds left by Dunc, Ray, Steve and well, everyone else.... 😏 

MrWill

B2.JPG

Archived