litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

richbk

So as i havent driven the car since sept 14th. i figured i should get the lotus mot'd and ready for the spring

i have managed an embarrassing 870 miles in 12 months, so figured my rear os advisory from my last mot would be ok this time too

but no i need new rubber. I always swop in pairs, so need to replace my worn out r888's. i think the garage mice have been chewing my tread away over winter !!

I have 888's up front too, and am not over keen on mixing brands / types so have been looking for replacements.

It seems an r888r has appeared but r888's are still also available.

has anyone run the newer tyre like this https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=87693603.110.80428&sowigan=So&Breite=225&Quer=45&Felge=17&Speed=W&Load=94&kategorie=&Marke=Toyo&ranzahl=1&tyre_for=&x_tyre_for=&Herst=Toyo&Ang_pro_Seite=10&sort_by=preis&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&filter_preis_bis=&filter_preis_von=&homologation=&Label=F-E-70-2&details=Ordern&typ=R-360600

and if so any reviews/feedback. The r888's are £170 per corner, these for some reason cheaper and then another similar r888r but not coded as xl for lots more money £267 per corner.

As ever opinion, info and recommendations welcome. Avon zzr's get good reviews, but not sure how they would work with 888's up front until it is time to swop them ??

richbk

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers martin.

Alas I havent seen the track for 2 summers, but fully intend to try again this year. 

however i really enjoy the grip the 888's give me, i am happy to lose 5% as i am no driving god, but wouldn't want to lose much more than that as i really like to enjoy the feel of the car in the bends. If the avons will give me that i am happy to give them a go , any suggestions for suppliers ??

As Martin mentions I'm running Avon ZZS at the moment and although I've probably only done about 400 miles on them and it's always been damp, cold, wet or very wet conditions I'm very impressed so far, The ultimate test will be a summer track day as I suspect they may go off sooner that R888 or A048 but I'm hoping they are the best all round track tyre !

Regarding the price, I was lucky to get 2 brand new fronts for £80 of eBay, I then bought 2 new rears from BMTR at £157 each +VAT, I think fronts are around £130 each new.

If you mainly use the car on the road you cant go wrong with AD08R, even the new Elise Cup 260 comes with these fitted from the factory

I've been using both ZZR's & S's properly hard at Donington today. Bottom line I'm doing 16/17's on a dry track with R's on and hooning around every kink in the road I could find when wet with S's. One of the lads didn't even bother changing and still did 18's all afternoon. Didn't get much higher then 6 or 7 degrees from around a wet 2 or 3 degree start. I love both but ZZS's are an excellent compromise Rich. 

@Andy followed a mate of Alan's round today in a Cup 250. Bloody quick and absolutely.....almost as stunning as yours B)

45 minutes ago, Martin R said:

Andy, thats interesting. Do they fit 205,s on the front then?

Another bonus of the ZZS is they come in the correct size for the fronts 195/50/16, As you know if you want AD08's you have to use 205/45/16

22 minutes ago, jonnyfox said:

I've been using both ZZR's & S's properly hard at Donington today. Bottom line I'm doing 16/17's on a dry track with R's on and hooning around every kink in the road I could find when wet with S's. One of the lads didn't even bother changing and still did 18's all afternoon. Didn't get much higher then 6 or 7 degrees from around a wet 2 or 3 degree start. I love both but ZZS's are an excellent compromise Rich. 

@Andy followed a mate of Alan's round today in a Cup 250. Bloody quick and absolutely.....almost as stunning as yours B)

Good information Jonny..... I know the ZZS get good reviews with the Caterham crowd.

the 250 will have the edge on mine, only a lowly 220 (for now) 

Cheers for the comments guys. I think I may look at the zzs when I change a full set as they sound ideal. For now I have put a new set of 888's on the back to match the fronts. This is my second set so figure when these die the fronts will be nearly ready for a change so will go Avon to see how they fair. Was tempted by the ad08 but not over keen on the wider front ,

roll on on sunshine and a few trips to my north wales hide away, the roads are just exige perfect around there

rich

On 17/02/2018 at 20:26, jonnyfox said:

I

Jonny - great to catch up today, the Bat Ferrets looking great as usual. 

Its actually a Cup 220 R that is detuned slightly for Elise Trophy Regs. Got black flagged 5th lap in for noise @ 98.5db. (standard Cup R exhaust :o). Fitted a Db slayer that we had to modify to fit and ran all day with peak reaching 93db, but averaging 91db. The guys at the circuit was very helpful and was communicating the noise levels to us. 

• 2 weeks later...

So. In need of Mloc help again to pass the mot.

tyres sourced, sent and fitted, now to what thought was a minor problem of rear fog light....

replaced bulb..no joy, check switch-works,checked wiring-works...

any thoughts ..?. Does it have some sort of module like the central locking that could have given up the ghost?.

thanks

Richard

I fixed my fog Lights and made a post here if the light doesn't come on when you press the button its probabally the switch pack relay.

The module is over £100 but if your handy with a soldering iron the relay was less tha £5...

Richard

Archived