litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

New Brake Discs Required

Kevin

Good morning all,

The last time my Elise S2 (Lotus Sport 135) was with Gav for a service, he recommended that I would need to get new brake discs soon.

I have been looking at Seriosly Lotus S2 drilled brake discs with curved vanes and Eliseparts Ultimax turbo discs, the black ones, the specification is similar, I think, so looking for any helpful advice and or knowledge/eperance that would help me decide between the two???

I will be staying with Pagid RS14 as they have serviced me well over the last few years

I use the car for spirited driving only and don't to take it on the track, but could be persuaded,

Thanks in advance

Kevin

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went for Euro car parts basic non-drilled (made by Brembo), running Mintex 1144. Hard to beat in terms of VFM if you are using them mainly on the road.

8k miles later including Stelvio and the alps, Peak runs and a track day at Blyton, mine were still fine. 

Saying that I know others have had problems with these discs in combo with CL5's, and I wouldn't recommend if you are doing lots of track days.

DeanB

Thanks for the info that Gav can source brake discs

Has anyone tried Ultimax discs?

Thanks

Kevin

Gav sourced my discs. He did mention a name, but it went over my head. They are drilled and grooved, but have the holes going in the correct direction, to help through brae dust out, unlike the OEM part.

I was in a similar boat last winter.

I ended up putting Daves seriously lotus belled 288mm grooved on the rear and the lotus 308mm 1 piece front with caliper spacers.

This year I've bought the ap 4 pots which came with the ap belled discs. Dave sorted me a set of drilled rears to match so I've got the 308s and the grooved rears to come off.

Kieran

If I'm hand on heart honest I bought drilled discs this time round because they look nice and I have wanted some for 25 years! Sad but true

If they crack between the drilled holes I will feel a right wanker

That's a bit harsh.

I've only seen some crack with heavy track use. My originals on my S2 had little ones appearing but the disks were getting towards end of life.

Just keep an eye on them and you'll be fine.

If I'm hand on heart honest I bought drilled discs this time round because they look nice and I have wanted some for 25 years! Sad but true

If they crack between the drilled holes I will feel a right wanker

I seriously doubt they'll crack Dean, I mean they are pretty much standard on any warm hatch now . So if you like the look well they are the tools for the job.

Personally I've done the drilled thing, and have wanted grooved for a while now... so even though I doubt I'll notice the blindest difference, I'm going for those next just for the bling ;)

I think it's nice to know the engineering behind some of this stuff, and make an educated decision, not just one based on what's the shiniest. If that decision is to heck with it I'd like the bling, it's all good in my book as that's part of the enjoyment :)

I'm considering either the seriously lotus or elise parts belled grooved discs. Does anyone have any experience as to whether one is better than the other?

When it comes to pads, who knows???? RS14's, RS42's, CL5's or performance friction???

Need to make sure my brakes are refreshed if I'm gonna come and have my first play on track!!!

Archived