litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

K Series Turbo From Mg Zt/ Rover 75 Transplant

Marcus

Hi all,

I've been considering multiple engine swaps recently and have stumbled upon the information that for a small period the mg ZT and rover 75 used a low boost turbo k series engine (see attached image).

I know several people have done t series transplants for big power but no one seems to have tried a k series turbo transplant.

The standard motor only has 160bhp but a t25 turbo bolts straight onto the standard manifold and with some minor tweaking should be close to 190-200bhp. I know this is achievable with an NA engine, but this will be a fairly low stress setup with a nice amount of torque.

My main concern at this point it - why has no one done this before?

post-5314-0-56808800-1426630755_thumb.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is info on SELOC about a K-series turbo.  For me, the two issues are

1 - can a K take a turbo (reliably) and

2 - do you want a turbo even closer to you (through a modified firewall) ???

What power / torque are you after ?  It's easy enough to get to 200+bhp and 150lbft torque with a NA K-series.  If you want more, you need to look at the options.

T-series (turbo)

K-series (turbo)

Duratec NA (I think)

Honda (NA or SC)

Audi (turbo)

The last 3 have commercially available options.  No-one has done a commercial option for the T or K.  I think there's probably a reason for that....

One thing I've never understood is why the Toyota or VXT engines (and subframes) have never been tried in the S1.  Does it just not fit ?

Chris, I think the reasoning behind not trying the yoga lump in an s1 is its a lot of work and the k20 is a stronger engine.

A vxlump would be interesting.

Although you missed one potential option off,

K series with a supercharger as this does has a commercially available option.

Wouldn't keeping it cool be an issue, bearing in mind it is mid mounted with undertrays? I know Lotuz struggled a bit to keep the VX turbo cool enough during it's development.

Archived