litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Goaty's Crash, The Trial.

Elaine

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I messaged Amy, Matt's sister earlier to see what the family's thoughts were on seeing that Bitstrips picture, and it possibly going viral (think SELOC) here's her reply:-

We don't have a problem at all we want as many people to know the truth after she has lied so much for the last thirteen months. I'm afraid our legal system is an ass and she has managed to lie her way through it and unfortunately that can't be changed now. Thank you for your kindness and support in getting the truth out Amy, Peter and Sue

Hi All,

I am Matt's father and below is an account I posted on facebook earlier today of what came out at the trial and the reason for the verdict. Hopefully this will inform and guide future comments. Please remember, when she swerved across the road she did not know the driver had no seatbelt or what speed he was doing - it could have been a motorcyclist, a lorry or a classic car that never had them fitted.

Thanks to all for their support about this:

"Yesterday, after several hours deliberating a jury returned a majority verdict of not guilty against Sarah Ryan for the charge of causing death by careless driving.

Most importantly, the truth has now come out, with only a very slight exception, but I am sure people will be able to fill in (but not prove) that gap.

The accounts of the trial can be seen on the links further down.

We were asked by the police to be silent on the events of that night until the investigation and trial completed - we no longer have to be - and please accept our apologies for not telling you, his friends, what we knew until now.

She had originally claimed in police interviews that Matt came onto her side of the road and crashed into her, even with CCTV that showed he didn't. This was alongside other claims she made to her colleagues that a mystery third party who ran away had crashed Matt's car into her.

In fact, at one stage she told police she wasn't going to attend any interview, but changed her mind when threatened with arrest.

However, after 10 months, confronted by CCTV images, reconstruction findings and an independent witness statement she accepted that she had driven onto the wrong side of the road, head-on into Matt's car pushing it backwards over 5 metres, up a kerb and through a fence. At the time of the impact Matt's car was wholly on his side of the road, braking and at a slower speed than her car, which did not brake at all.

She said that she saw his lights (which the CCTV show were on dipped beam) and claimed that she had heard his exhaust but that these had not startled her, just made her aware there was a car coming towards her.

She claimed that she 'must have thought that Matt was on her side of the road and instinctively swerved' (towards his side of the road) as a result, therefore she was not driving without due care and attention but had mis-read the situation.

She denied that she lied to police in interview and denied that she was changing her version to suit proven facts - you can all make up your on minds on this.

Her partner, who was in the car with her, told police he could remember nothing of the day in question - though this is not what he has told others since the accident.

Critically, and I believe correctly, the judges directions to the jury were that they had to be certain from the evidence that she had been distracted (ie no due care and attention) to find her guilty. If they thought that she might have been, or that she probably was, then this was not conclusive and their verdict should be not guilty.

The jury could not reach a unanimous verdict, and so following directions that they could reach a majority verdict they did this.

So there we have it. She mis-read the situation, thought she was at risk, didn't brake and swerved at the hazard.

Her acquittal means that the crown did not prove she committed the offence she was charged with, not that she did not do it. But it is now fact that she did cause the collision.

Matt was not wearing his seat belt, but the severity of the impact makes this pretty much irrelevant, and he was speeding as he approached the accident scene - but he saw what was happening and braked, more than halving his speed to 25-30 mph in less than 2 seconds.

We will never know what really happened in those vital seconds because of her inability do be honest, recognize her culpability and show morals and values that thankfully most of society does have

Conviction would not have brought him back, but the trial has meant that this woman has been forced to admit her lies and her total responsibility for his death and stopped her blaming him for what she did that night. It was never about revenge - only making sure that the truth was known by those of us that knew Matt and now cherish his memory.

We are grateful to the police and the independent witness. The CPS is a separate issue.

Please feel free to share this with anyone you want to who you think needs to know what happened.

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Driver-caused-tragedy-distracted/story-20443853-detail/story.html

www.leicestermercury.co.uk .. ory-20449232-detail/story.html

Peter, Sue & Amy, we admire your strength through all of this. Matt will never be forgotten, and the MLOC community know that justice certainly was not done in this case...

Peter,

that must have really taken some effort to write. Thank you for explaining the details to us in such a calm and collected way.

I didn't know Matt myself however I have heard about him through the Mloc family.

My thoughts are with the whole family during this time.

Peter - Thanks so much for writing this, words cannot convey my thoughts.

Best wish's to all your family through & beyond this difficult time.

Murray

Archived