litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Goaty's Crash, The Trial.

Elaine

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say, I'd struggle to fully accept that verdict if I were the family. Neither party was blameless and undoubtedly Goaty paid a severe price for his involvement. However to not be successfully charged with any offence for veering into the path of an oncoming car? Seems difficult to accept to me.

If that's accurate that is wrong, she should be charged with something! At the very least driving without due care and attention. How can someone drive onto the wrong side of the road, ramming and killing another driver and not expect to be punished at all?!?!?

I understand that there is an argument that had he been obeying the law, ie wearing a seat belt and not speeding, he may have survived, but she still would have likely caused an accident and injuries

By letting her off completely its saying she was blameless in my opinion, and that's just not the case. Our justice system sucks some times

… and what she was charged with. She wasn't charged with driving without due care and attention, so she could't be convicted of it. AFAIK, that's down to the CPS to decide what to charge her with. For all that, she probably has nightmares too, and will for a long time. And possibly the rest of her family. There are no winners here. Tragedy is a very apposite word. So many lives blighted. Note to self: remember to concentrate when driving.(!)

and/or been driving a "sports" car

You mean "high performance car" as mentioned in the papers, I was reflecting on tha this morning...

Elise S2 rover, 120bhp (on a good day),

classic audi A4 tdi, 143bhp

I don't think a A4 is a "super high performance" car. Some preconsive idea remains...

As for the verdict, I understand the frustration. The thing I'd like to know is: what was she exactly charged for?

If the "driving without due care etc." was not part of the charges, i believe the jury cannot charge her for that.

Anyway, she will have to live with some guilt all her life which is not gonna be easy.

The charge was Death by Careless Driving....

I am shocked that she has been completely cleared after (finally, when CCTV footage was produced) admitting that she was on the wrong side of the road, and therefore caused the collision. Truly shocked!

That is really bad taste - she drives onto the wrong side of the road killing the driver whose car she hits - then posts that up on Facebook! Good job she doesn't allow non-friends to comment on her pictures.

Someone should put one of those - "share this picture around" type things up, maybe then she'll show some compassion

Very very wrong. Thoughts go out to Goaty's family. They have such a lot to deal with, they really don't need that kind of reaction.

No-one has 'won' for God's sake!!! But some people have very definatley lost.....a lot.

Archived