litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Sabre Heads Kr1 Plus Newman Phase 2 Cams

Phil S1

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rog didn't think there was much to be gained from a sports cat so I'm giving that a miss for the time being.....plus I think I've spent enough for the moment!

After only placing my order at the weekend with Roger this arrived by DHL on Tuesday morning:-

IMG_8635_zpsa3c285a4.jpg

....and it's already pre-configured with a suitable map, so hopefully it should be pretty straightforward to fit. You can probably guess what I'll be doing this weekend, in fact I've already made a start tonight by removing the FSE fuel pressure regulator and re-fitting the OE one again....if anyone wants a nearly new adjustable pressure regulator let me know rolleyes.gif

Well apologies, but I just couldn't wait until the weekend and I haven't started a separate Emerald thread either yet. But the fact is:- It's fitted, the car runs and best of all I've not blown anything up clap.gif

I had initially planned to fit it at Brian's but with both Rog and Martin saying it's pretty much 'plug n play' and with a couple of reassuring phone calls to Brian, it was indeed remarkably straightforward.

I'll start a separate thread another time but for the moment here's the engine parameters with the engine fully warmed up till the fan kicked in:-

IMG_8656_zps4565f669.jpg

The only thing I've adjusted at present is the putting the injection trim down to -3 to bring the idle speed down, much below 1000rpm though and it gets a bit lumpy. Looking at the lambda reading I presume it's probably running a bit rich.

Once I've mounted the ECU in properly I'll take it out for a drive and see how it goes but tomorrow I'll be phoning up the RR to get it booked in and properly mapped.

Think I'm going to mount the ECU in the engine bay horizontally rather than with the Comms port pointing upwards as I've seen done on seloc. a) because it seems to fit better that way and B) to minimise water ingress via the ports.

It looks like Donington and Chatsworth are now very much back on biggrin.gif

Well done Phil.

I'm very interested to see how the Emerald makes your car run.

I may well be wrong here but is 15.9 Lambda not lean ? If so I think a negative injector trim could be the wrong way ?

glad to hear it running down the phone earlier. you'll do a lot of tweeking to start then once mapped and the cold start enrichment sorted i bet you'll never touch it again. other than to wire up the shift lights and other features. :-)

being lean at idle shouldn't be a problem as you're not making much power/heat, but i'd make sure you get the closed loop on the lambda for the trip down the m'way to mine, so if it is a little lean it'll correct the fueling at steady state, likewise don't cane it too much until you know it's safe.

ref the idle speed, i'm a little rusty but you should be able to control on the idle air valve as you have one, if not then there is a dodge where you put in a little too much air (via screw on throttle body) then set the fuel a bit low and then also retard the ignition (but no less than 0 degrees) around the desired idle point. say 1000 rpm. you then at the 500rpm point put in more ignition advance and more fuel. what this does is when the revs drop it kicks them back up a little.

you can also put in a target rpm somewhere and the ecu will try and maintain this

if memory serves, the trim value you put in affects the whole map unless you commit it to the position on the map you are at, it's one of the Fkeys on the keyboard or just remember the position (load0, speed 2) and change the number in the map

Like we said on the phone, the map shouldn't be far off as it's off a similar spec, but i can have a look over the settings on sat if you like.

Phil, this is exciting smile.png I know nothing about Emerald mapping. Im going to enjoy this journey of discovery. Did you use a laptop with a serial port or a USB to serial interface?

Edit, it might be worth looking at the S2 ECU cover solution? Its basically a cover that fits over the top and behind the ecu and is held in via the backplate fixing screws. I will take some pics if i ever get my rear clam back on :)

Well done Phil.

I'm very interested to see how the Emerald makes your car run.

I may well be wrong here but is 15.9 Lambda not lean ? If so I think a negative injector trim could be the wrong way ?

You are of course absolutely right Russ.....I think I was overcome with excitement...that and the fact I haven't got a clue what I'm doing laugh.png

Bri,

I read your post, but at this time of the morning it may as well have been in Mandarin! I'll have another look at it today, drive steadily to yours and let you have a look tomorrow. I don't think the map that's in it should be that far out to be honest. I'm going to ring the RR this morning to get it booked in.

I've also just realised that the throttle body idle screw is still wound in more than std so the butterfly is probably more open than at should be. I'll put it back to somewhere near std, reset the TPS limits and run it up again. (I had previously needed to wind the idle screw in to get the car to idle satisfactorily on the MEMS unit).

Phil, this is exciting smile.png I know nothing about Emerald mapping. Im going to enjoy this journey of discovery. Did you use a laptop with a serial port or a USB to serial interface?

Edit, it might be worth looking at the S2 ECU cover solution? Its basically a cover that fits over the top and behind the ecu and is held in via the backplate fixing screws. I will take some pics if i ever get my rear clam back on smile.png

I used an old laptop that had a serial port Martin, in fact one that Ninarin kindly donated to me for when we do our geos. It's that old it barely had enough disk space to install the software, but it worked a treat. (I did also order a USB/serial adapter that if all else had failed I was going to use with a more up to date laptop but haven't needed to use it for now). From what I've read it seems there are loads of cheaper adapters out there that don't work properly, if at all. This the one that Emerald sell:-

http://www.emeraldm3...al-adapter.html

From what I understand I think you need to have one with the FTDI chipset.

I'll have a bit of a think about the cover today, I have a bit of an idea in my head that might work.

Well done Phil, all sounds promising. Only 11 places left on LoT for Donington on the 22nd..... hope you get it sorted in time. Good luck....

Archived