litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

What Do You Reckon? A Bag Of Bolts And Rust, Or A Dream Car?

TimSportsTourer

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you bought it Tim (says he who's S4S has been off the road for a year having a gearbox re-build!)

I've been a bit slow pointing you to the update, Mutley. But as you will have gathered, the news is good. Perhaps this time next week, it will emerge from the dealer's maintenance and body shops, and I'll be its proud possessor.

Which brings me onto a question about gearboxes. How did you break yours? I've heard a lot about their fragility, and also that it's a good idea to double declutch to protect them. I've always thought of double declutching benefitting the synchromesh, and not the gearbox proper. Surely unleashing full power on a dodgy box in low gear is what will strip cogs rather than over-zealous down-changes. What is it that actually fails in them? Can you help me understand how best to treat mine? (other than with kid gloves!)

I wasn't as thorough as you've been Tim when I bought my car - it was a case of 'saw it want it' as S4S's are quite rare and it was in Norfolk Mustard. After a year or so of ownership it was time to get the clunckiness sorted as it was getting noticably worse, so I've been trying to source synchro rings for 1st & 2nd which took several months as they're like hens teeth.

I'm not teccy enough to advise on what causes wear or how best to protect them, other than obvious things like ensuring the oil is changed and levels checked regularly, but I've read about the double de-clutching being a good procedure aswell as ensuring the car is stationary then engaging first before engaging reverse.

I recommend you join the Lotus Esprit Forum and put a list of questions about things to watch out for on there. Like MLOC, its a top forum and full of (older) guys with tens of years of experience behind them. Welcome to the 'Madhouse'!

I wasn't as thorough as you've been Tim when I bought my car - it was a case of 'saw it want it' as S4S's are quite rare and it was in Norfolk Mustard. After a year or so of ownership it was time to get the clunckiness sorted as it was getting noticably worse, so I've been trying to source synchro rings for 1st & 2nd which took several months as they're like hens teeth.

I'm not teccy enough to advise on what causes wear or how best to protect them, other than obvious things like ensuring the oil is changed and levels checked regularly, but I've read about the double de-clutching being a good procedure aswell as ensuring the car is stationary then engaging first before engaging reverse.

I recommend you join the Lotus Esprit Forum and put a list of questions about things to watch out for on there. Like MLOC, its a top forum and full of (older) guys with tens of years of experience behind them. Welcome to the 'Madhouse'!

I think you've answered the question, Mutley. It is indeed the synchromesh that goes. So that's why people say you should double-declutch.

I have joined the Lotus Esprit Forum, and I've had some great advice, but there are only so many 'numpty' questions one can ask in the space of ten days. They have been very helpful indeed on there, to be fair.

Thanks for your advice, and I hope you get yours mobile again soon. I think mine will be done on Monday. Hoping for tomorrow, but expecting Monday.

Camera at the ready. Collecting it at 8.30 in the morning (assuming I get out of bed early enough)!

Tonight (how sad am I?), my wife presented me with some original Esprit adverts from the launch of the S4, which feature my car! Spectacularly cool but in a spectacularly uncool way, I reckon. Quite excited, but I still have to spend yet more money of fuel for the Nissan, just so that I make it as far as Stansted.

I do look forward (a lot!) to changing my Car Type in my profile, though.

Now, all I have to do is sleep really well tonight...

Arghh!!!! Went all the way to Stansted to get the car, and they hadn't done all the bits they agreed to do. Example - the air-con needs regassing. Is it done? Ticked on the list. Good. Is it done? No. They can't do it, because it's against the law for them to do it. They didn't think to send it out to get it done, or to tell me they hadn't done it. So I've un-cancelled the insurance for my Nissan, and I'm still driving that. Perhaps next week, they'll have done all they promised. The looked sooooo beautiful, though. Stunning.

Not feeling good. Not the morning I hoped for. Still, the day will come, I hope.

• 2 weeks later...

So, it's time for some updates. In summary, I don't yet have the car, and my patience is being sorely tried.

A recap of the story, and the next bits...

My indepent inspection highlighted a number of issues. I met with the salesperson, and we went through the list of issues. Some of them won't manifest for a couple of years, and so I let them drop. It's an old car, and I'll expect to pay for things as time passes. However, for a long list of important stuff that would be expensive for me, they agreed to make things right. These agreements were conditional for the sale.

Nine days ago, I was told by the dealer that everything had been done, after several delays. I got there, filled in the V5 to sell them my car in part ex, etc, and then started down the checklist of items that we had agreed they would fix. It went something like this...

"Air-con done?"

"Yes."

"Fuel-tank breather?"

"Yes."

etc. And then I got to a question where the salesperson couldn't answer, so the engineering manager was dragged in.

I started at the top of the list again.

"Air-con?"

"No - can't do it."

"So why is it ticked?"

"Because we looked at it."

"But it can be done?"

"Yes."

"But you can't do it?"

"No."

"So why is it ticked?"

"Because we can't do it."

"I don't remember that being part of the deal. You promised to fix it. Can you get it done?"

"Yes."

"So why didn't you?"

Etc.

I was livid. We ultimately agreed that they would fix the several outstanding items, and I drove away. Very disappointed at not having the car, and very annoyed at having wasted almost an entire morning when I should have been at work. Still, tomorrow is another day.

So yesterday, I was told (just this morning) that the last of the issues was fixed to a point where I agreed it was adequate. This afternoon, I got a lift there (in a friend's Elise, I'm proud to say), since I've sold my own car privately in the meanwhile. Paid for the car, filled in the V5. Sat in it, and everything was completely dead. Dead as the proverbial dodo. It had been driven just yesterday. Why is it flat? The battery is new since it failed to start the first time I saw it. Is the alternator faulty? And there were some other things probably not fixed either. So once again, I walked away. Walked this time, not drove. No car to drive in.

So I'm not really a happy bunny. Have you ever heard of someone who has been to get a car handed over twice, and neither time has the car worked as promised? From a franchised dealer?

So now, they have refunded my payment (though not the deposit, yet!), and will fix the problems in the new year. It's such a shame. The car looked drop-dead gorgeous this morning, having had some of the paintwork touched up and a proper polish. Just stunning!

The saga continues. I still hope (desperately) to have the car soon. But I don't have it yet.

It's all frustrating. As I see it, the price is expensive for what it is, but it will be OK, if the car is in good condition. If I buy it with a grand or two of work still to do, I'll have been ripped off right royally. And that's from a dealer, who ought to be able to make it work. I know it's an old car, but surely one wouldn't pay £300 for a car with an MOT that won't start, never mind what I'm paying here? That can't be just me, can it?

I so hope they pull their fingers out. The car is beautiful, and I desperately want to pay them for it. Instead of cutting corners, why can't they just do a decent job of making it OK, and then get their money? Or even a half-decent job? I'm sure it's 'Car-Selling 101' where you learn to check that the car will start for the customer.

Here's hoping that they come back well rested after the Christmas break and ready to get it fixed for me...

You are more patient than I would be. Out of principle I would tell them to stick it. Gorgeous car it may be, but they don't seem particularly arsed about things.

I do hope it's sorted ASAP in the new year. I still look forward to the pics.

Archived