Esprit To Be Made Abroad?

Mark H

http://www.pistonheads.com/lotus/default.asp?storyId=10193

Lotus to make new Esprit abroad?

Monday 4th April

Rumours swirl as workforce waits with jobs at stake

Lotus Esprit

Lotus Esprit

The next generation Lotus Esprit looks likely to be made in Malaysia, according to an Autocar report. It's a favoured option both because production costs will be lower, and it's the home of parent company Proton.

The Elise will stay at Hethel, said a Lotus source. The source said the Lotus is considering other production possibilities but hasn't yet made up its mind. The news though is said to be an open secret among Lotus's 400-strong workforce, who will be bitterly disappointed should the decision fall in Malaysia's favour. With the ending of the production of the Vauxhall VX220 at the end of 2005, new projects such as the Esprit could save their jobs.

Scheduled for launch in 2007-8, the mid-engined, all-alloy £75,000 car may house the Mercedes SLR McLaren's AMG V8 powerplant.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Everyone buys it cos something is actually made in britain for once. He moves production to Malaysia for cheap labour. "

Good reason not to buy his products in future same as Dr Martens,sack all of your Brit workforce then make more ££££ using slave labour.Of course you use the expertise of the UK workforce to get the product off the ground first.

It Sucks IMHO.

Autocar article says that the new Esprit has been seen testing alonside a McLaren SLR at Hethel and the two share a very similar engine note,target weight is 1300kg using an inline forced induction V8.

I think it will be built in Blighty

Regards

Jon

Think were all becoming more mates than sometimes we think we are sometimes ?

If only that made sense Bob :(

and what's with this new sign-on, you had the old one too long so decided to get a new one? :(

Poor Kim, she has to put up with a lot. You change your mind more often than a woman :P

:D

Like you do the hoovering Scott.

I've got a terrible mental picture of Scott doing a 'Freddie Mercury' in that video :( (was it? 'I want to break free' or something) :(

Reg - nurse, nurse I need more pills................

Archived