litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Ride Height

JonS

Before I open up the floor for suggested ride heights, I actually want to know is what should the standard ride height be on my early S2, and where exactly is it measured from?

As I'm changing from Billies to Nitrons this week I want check the ride height stays the same until I get it geo'd and lowered.

My front has always looked slightly high so i'm just wondering what it should be as std.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a mine field of a subject! I measured mine approximately this morning. I got about 140 to 145 :blink but it was unladen and only roughly measured.

Will have another go on a level surface lol

Jon

i have just had a look at my S2 service book and its states

Ride height

Before any measurements or adjustments are made, its essential first to set the vehicle to its mid laden ride height approximating to driver passenger and half tank of fuel.

ride height for geometry check is

130mm below front end of chassis siderail

130mm below rear end of chassis siderail

For cars fitted with sport suspension a lower ride height and revised geometry is used, it says to refer to a section XA, I am not sure i have that section

Although i have just found this on seloc techwiki

SELOC TECHWIKI

My Exige from factory on adjustable bilsteins was 145mm front and rear on the off side, and 135mm front and rear on the Near side , that is without ballast and fuel. i need to get my ride heights setup now i have my nitrons on and i think im going to go for 120mm front and 125/130mm rear. i ran my elise lower at around 110f-120r and caught the front a few times.

Whatever you go for, set the front 10mm lower than the rear. 120/130 is a good road compromise.

120 / 130 it is then :), cheers Steve.

That's that problem sorted. With the new shocks fitted today, I was chatting to the mechanic and he has reduced the height 10mm all round from standard (140) and the near side front is 10mm lower than offside (without ballast).

It looks a lot better immediately, never mind the setup. I just felt the car was sitting too high before.

Need to get a geo sorted now then and get these Nitrons working :D

I have just found the spec sheet given to me when Hoffmans fitted my Nitrons and set the geo and ride heights. They said

they were setting the car as low as possible for the road.

It says 125mm front and 135mm rear and this is quite a lot lower than my car used to be. Any lower and I'm sure I would be

having problems with speed bumps etc.

As it is I took a chunk out of my splitter when driving onto a ferry recently. :angry:

Ah that reminds me. Set the bottom of the number plate a few mm lower than the bottom of the front clam. It makes a horrible noise when it scrapes and gves a good warning of impending problems.

Archived