litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Nigel Mansell!

DeanB

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's true our Nige is partial to a little moan every now and then but it's not his talking that interests me it's his driving. And his driving was immense. I was there at Silverstone when he blitzed double world champion Nelson Piquet after overcoming a 30 second deficit in an identical car. He did it largely through sheer bravery - no flags then telling back markers to move, you had to find your own way past and Nigel just didn't lift. Lap after lap through Coppice my heart was in my mouth thinking if one of these guys doesn't see him and moves over there will be the mother of all accidents. Piquet by contrast was positively cautious. It was by a country mile the best grand prix I have ever seen.

It's true our Nige is partial to a little moan every now and then but it's not his talking that interests me it's his driving. And his driving was immense. I was there at Silverstone when he blitzed double world champion Nelson Piquet after overcoming a 30 second deficit in an identical car. He did it largely through sheer bravery - no flags then telling back markers to move, you had to find your own way past and Nigel just didn't lift. Lap after lap through Coppice my heart was in my mouth thinking if one of these guys doesn't see him and moves over there will be the mother of all accidents. Piquet by contrast was positively cautious. It was by a country mile the best grand prix I have ever seen.

Nige in his prime was unbeatable - no doubt about it.  Wheel-to-wheel with Senna was one the best moments in F1 history.

Totally agree Nige is the most underated F1 driver ever smile.png - I was at Silverstone too - epic smile.pngsmile.png - the Senna wheel to wheel is legend smile.png also worth a watch is 89 Hungary Nige in the Fezza winning from 14th place on the grid :)

I got him to sign my '87 ticket tonight, and my model of his F1 Ferrari, and his new book. He was really decent, even bringing my kid and his mate to the front of the queue. I'm chuffed.

• 5 weeks later...

I went to Silverstone a few years ago when he was racing a Ferrari with Chris Niarcos just to get his autograph. After waiting at the allotted time outside the Ferrari pit garage I was shocked to see a circle of 'heavies' surrounding a very familiar face away from the pits.

I gave chase to find he was heading to a fourteen mile long queue of people waiting for autographs!

I managed to finally get in front of him behind a little kid to hear him say "ok, the kids the last one!" The kid got his and I was at last staring at my hero with poster outstretched...

He looked at me and,(yes...HE spoke to me...) "I said, the kid was the last one!" I replied, "sorry, I thought you meant me..." And was about to add, "PLEASE don't make me beg..." when he ripped off the top of his marker pen and signed my poster, then I turned to Chris... He stared at me for a couple of seconds, huffed and then signed it too. Our Nige then stormed off as I took a pic of him.

For some reason he seemed to be in a bit of a mood. I don't know why, it's not like he had to race back to work on the car.

The annoying thing is, when I looked at the two signatures on the poster, I can't read either of them :)

When I was a kid Mansell was my hero, as he ALWAYS gave 200% effort!

Is still the only driver to win the F1 Driver's Championship AND Indy back to back.

And it's great to see he has the lip hair back again clap.gif 

Remember meeting him as a kid. My parents were members of the Silverstone Club back in the 80's/early 90's, so we spent a lot of time there. The members club was run by Ian, I believe, and he knew I was a massive Mansell fan. One day he asked my parents if he could borrow me for a bit. We jumped in his car and headed to the infield. We headed to the pits, and I got to meet my hero, Nigel Mansell. Autograph, and brief chat whilst he and a few other drivers were sat having their lunch. Trying to remember who else was there...(just checked the autograph book) Gerhard Berger, Gregor Foitek, Johnny Dumfries, Luis Sala, Ricardo Patrese and Derek Warick. That day has stuck in memory ever since!

Archived