litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

My Elise Dream Is Over

Neil

Well, my elise dream is over. I'm sure you've all seen the pictures by now - that once lovely 111S under the Audi A8 was mine. I was still in the car when that picture was taken.

I've admitted blame, no point denying anything here. Traffic was moving at a fairly slow pace (I honestly couldn't say how much, but I'd guess around 30 - 40ish) when all of a sudden everything stopped. I braked hard but obviously saw it all too late and smashed into the back of the audi. There was a bloody big bang and the next thing I know there's an A8 on top of me.

I didn't have the roof on at the time. The windowscreen caved in and ended up resting on the steering wheel but the passenger compartment was otherwise untouched. After a few frenzied moments spent trying to get out I realised I was pretty much stuck - the audi's wheels were resting on my doors. I really panicked when I realised I was sat underneath an exhaust and a fuel tank but the people on the scene really helped to calm me down. I was a touch uncomfortable as well as there was some trim wedged in the seat behind me - I assumed that it was something off the back of the audi but it later turned out to be most of my bonnet. Looking back, it was probably a good thing I was in such a low car, as a taller car would have needed to absorb much more energy. I'm pretty sure that this little blue sports car saved my life.

The fire crew jacked up the audi just enough to open the door of my car and I crawled out with just the odd scratch and a sore neck. And a very battered pride. The car was a complete mess, but amazingly one of the fire crew managed to start it drive it up onto the verge.

I want to thank all the emergency services for helping me out here and all the people on the scene who help me to remain calm. I'd also like to apologise for anyone that got held up in the resulting traffic jam.

I'd also really like to thank Jon (bittenbythebug) and the rest of your party for organising coming to collect me and get me back to the midlands, and especially Gordon (fizz) for giving me a lift back home to my tearful wife. I'd only met these people that morning (I'm not sure I even spoke to Gordon) yet they turned around and came back to rescue me. I cannot thank you enough, you're a credit to this forum and all Lotus owners.

So, thats it. I'm sure there'll be an amount of slagging off for this, and I guess I deserve most of it. For what it's worth I would like to say that I wasn't driving quickly or beyond my limits. I just didn't see everyone braking soon enough.

I'm devestated about the car and even more so for the stress I'm putting my heavily pregant wife through, but I'm alive and well so I can only consider myself lucky. It's been a fun year (I'd owned it a year to the day, having just renewed my insurance the day before). I've met a good few people on here and been on some good drives but I guess this is the end for me. I might log in once in a while to see what's going on but it's taking my all my effort just to write this, so don't be too surprised if you don't hear from me for a while.

MLOC: Thanks for the memories.

Signing off,

Neil - Moschops.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neil,

I'm really sorry to hear about this. I'm very glad you are ok though. Don't beat yourself up about it though... its clear to me its a pure accident, and one of those unfortunate things. Sure, you can say what if you were 5m further back, but then a chav would have probably overtaken and filled that space...

Take care, and good luck with the new baby!

Neil,

So sorry to see the pics and here this has happened. I hoped when I saw the thread it was not you but knid of thought it might be when you were not in work. It is a sad, sad day - but am really glad you are ok.

All the best for you and your wife.

Don't be a stranger mate. get well soon and see you when you come back to work.

Take care,

Si

I did wonder Neil when I saw the picture :o

The only thing that matters is that your okay!

TBH I've almost backended someone as I've only noticed they've braked at the last minute, prob because a lot of them drive to close to each other and then have to slam their anchors on!

Shit happens I'm afraid!

Bloody hell Neil! :o

Glad to hear your Okay mate, car looks a mess. Gutted about the car myself as it was a stunning example when I saw it at the karts. Make sure you stay in touch, as i'm sure there'll be more karting to be had later on this year. I saw a yellow S1 elise parked at the side of the road on that single carageway back from hethel, I didn't see your car though.

It sounds like an extremely scary situation being pinned underneath the car, but i'm glad your ok.

Shit happens mate, your not the first not to notice brake lights until too late, and you wont be the last- glad youre fine.

BUT - WHY give it all up? Surely if the insurance was all paid up, then get another!

I'm sure you'll miss it!

Neil,

I'm really sorry for your accident. It was only a matter of time before the photos made onto the net. I am absolutely amazed you were so unscathed. A credit to the design of the vehicle.

I hope you dont focus on the pictures too much, and I hope this one that my brother took in the morning will be more of what you remember of your year with an Elise.

I may of only met you in person for the first time yesterday, but this club has enabled us to form friendships we would not otherwise of had and be able to help each other as friends would. The least we can do.

I hope you don't mind me posting this picture, if you want me to remove it I will.

gallery_1516_193_20782.jpg

Keep in touch.

Hi there,

Sorry to see the car and you end in this way :clap: ,

No one should slag you off as we all loose consentration at some time or other, yes me included :o how embaresed

do you think I was telling every one I drove a Smart Car into a tree :) with all of it's 600cc of power.

Any way good luck and Im'e sure you will be back.

Mike

I am really sorry to hear this Neil :o

So glad that you are ok though.

As others have said, we all make mistakes, try not to cut yourself up about it.

Whats done is done and all the "if onlys" in the world are not going to change whats happened.

I wish yourself and your wife all the best for the future.

You have a fantastic time comming ahead with the birth of your child.

Soon this will be just a distant memory.

And in a short time you will be back in another lotus.

Till that time, keep your chin up mate.

All the best

Greg and Ali

Snap out of it Neil ! Its not THAT bad !

Erm...well yeah...maybe it is :o

Close call that was but your alive and well and you've got a nipper on the way. So life is good !

Have a few months reflection then get back involved mate. Try not to let it get you down - these things happen.

Neil, the only thing that matters here is you are still around to watch your family grow up :) Who,s fault it was is neither here or there. its why you pay insurance. Take time to gather your thoughts about it. It could have happened in any car. MLOC expects an invite to wet the babys head BTW. You have been a credit to MLOC in your time on here with organising runs etc. We hope it continues. Its people like you and the others that make me and Liz MLOC addicts :o Best wishes Martin and Liz.

Neil,

We all make mistakes, get the Elise fixed and get it back on the road. If it's written off, go one better and get one in orange!

Ding to that - don't be put off the Elise. You came out of it OK, testament to the car in my opinion. Amazing, really, looking at the photos.

And if orange isn't to your liking, Scandal Green is nice ! (You'd need a S1 though...)

Neil, I am SO sorry to see and hear this :o

I'm sure there'll be an amount of slagging off for this, and I guess I deserve most of it.

Anyone who slags you off mate doesn't really know you, you are a well established member on MLOC and known for being a top bloke.

If you don't check back in for a while all the best to you and your soon to be family

Archived