litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Proton To Manufacture Affordable Lotus In Malaysia

Mark H

SHAH ALAM, April 25 (Bernama) -- National carmaker, Proton Holdings Bhd, plans to manufacture affordable Lotus cars in Malaysia probably in late 2007 or in 2008, its managing director Syed Zainal Abidin Syed Mohamed Tahir said.

"If everything goes on well, the affordable Lotus will be done and assembled in Malaysia. Both Lotus and Proton have agreed on the plan," he told reporters at a press conference to mark his 100 days as managing director.

He said Proton was currently identifying the specification for the car, platform to work with and the market to focus.

"This car could be priced around RM100,000 compared with the current Lotus car at between RM300,000 and RM400,000. It is a very expensive car (current Lotus). I think there is a big market for Lotus if it is within affordable range without compromising Lotus' quality," he said.

He said with the model, the company could expand Lotus sales not only in UK, Europe, US and Japan but also in China, India and Association of South-East Asian Nations market.

Syed Zainal said Proton was tapping synergies with the UK-based sports car maker, by forming partnerships with carmakers and raising quality of the cars.

"Lotus is world famous for sports cars and its engineering services, so it makes a lot of sense for us, as the owners of Lotus, to put in more Lotus in Proton cars. At the same time we will open doors for Lotus to provide engineering services to other carmakers in key Asian market such as China, South Korea and India," said Syed Zainal.

He said currently Lotus was too heavily-centred in UK. About 80-90 percent of Lotus engineering expertise are there.

"That is nothing wrong with it. But with we have to be competitive. People are now working towards geo-based rather then Euro-based.

"Hence, going forward, Lotus has to move from a UK-based firm to geo-based in order to have its resources in the emerging market like China and India.

"We are taking a fresh look at making the best use of Lotus' strengths," he said.

http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news_...s.php?id=193758

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But Hethel is mainly an assembly plant now. Parts are manufactured by other companies throughout the world then stuck together by cheap unskilled local labour. Can't really see the difference between who glues the bits together so long as the concept design and engineering side is still from the UK.

Start replacing the skilled personnel with Far East or "Emerging Markets" people and you'll get a Europa look. :blink:

A cheap Lotus could be a good thing, but what will it do to the residuals of the current crop? Perhaps keep them strong if new models are no longer percieved as real Lotus's??

Discuss...

:)

"Hence, going forward, Lotus has to move from a UK-based firm to geo-based in order to have its resources in the emerging market like China and India.

Perhaps TATA will see a sportscar added to its line-up.

Remember the rumours of the MG Midget being based on the City Rover (sic) platform.

I think there is a big market for Lotus if it is within affordable range without compromising Lotus' quality," he said.

That shouldn't be hard to follow then :P

But Hethel is mainly an assembly plant now. Parts are manufactured by other companies throughout the world then stuck together by cheap unskilled local labour. Can't really see the difference between who glues the bits together so long as the concept design and engineering side is still from the UK.

Start replacing the skilled personnel with Far East or "Emerging Markets" people and you'll get a Europa look. :P

A cheap Lotus could be a good thing, but what will it do to the residuals of the current crop? Perhaps keep them strong if new models are no longer percieved as real Lotus's??

Discuss...

:o

A cheap Lotus could be a good thing, - VX ..... ????

If they take the market downstream, i dont personaly think this would be good for lotus.

They have always produced cars for the enthusiast and at prices just above the average 4 door family saloon.

To my mind, this kept its products as nearly affordable "dream cars".

To produce "cheap" affordable cars for the mass market can only erode the lotus brand IMHO :)

I know its slighltly different market, but ferrari has never made an "affordable" car.

I can understand the need to keep costs down, but is this really the best direction for the company to take :D

Sad to see it happening, not suprised by it - worried that if they just ship everything out to Malaysia, or worse just expand the Malaysian Lotus Engineering and shut down the UK office then we might as well kiss goodbye to Lotus as we know it. It will end up as a sad pastisch with no real "soul" - it will end up as a Malaysian start up with a bought name. Sad but Proton can no longer afford the UK operation, just wish they would cut thier losses and sell to someone who might just try to keep some of the original ethos. :D

There are a couple of issues. An entry level Elise variant, back to basics if you like ,with a realistic price has to be welcomed and this of course has been signalled. I assumed that this would be built at Hethel which has to be good for the Factory if it gets volume up towards capacity.

Longer term though is a bit less reassuring. I accept that they have to look at the Global market but would be concerned, to say the least, if it was just capitalising on the Badge. In other words the "Lotus" version being the sports model of a different car. " The Lotus version of the wonderbra xxx has alloy wheels, sports fabric trim and grand prix seat piping" gush the PR men.

Long term, I would not like the marque to go the same way as the MG did, being added to pretty ordinary saloons.

There are a couple of issues. An entry level Elise variant, back to basics if you like ,with a realistic price has to be welcomed and this of course has been signalled. I assumed that this would be built at Hethel which has to be good for the Factory if it gets volume up towards capacity.

Unfortunately, the easiest way to cut costs is in labour charges.

And we know what that means :D

Long term, I would not like the marque to go the same way as the MG did, being added to pretty ordinary saloons.

I'm glad they did...

Ordinary saloon? Not any more :DB)

Gary

Sad to see it happening, not suprised by it - worried that if they just ship everything out to Malaysia, or worse just expand the Malaysian Lotus Engineering and shut down the UK office then we might as well kiss goodbye to Lotus as we know it. It will end up as a sad pastisch with no real "soul" - it will end up as a Malaysian start up with a bought name. Sad but Proton can no longer afford the UK operation, just wish they would cut thier losses and sell to someone who might just try to keep some of the original ethos. :lol:

Sad but true :(

A cheap Lotus could be a good thing, - VX ..... ????

It said cheap, not crap and ugly!

Christurbo and Elaine discussTING! :lol:

:(

I don't know about Chris, but I'm proud to be a sickophant! :(

E. B)

Off to give my V a good leathering! ;)

Archived