litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Car lift recommendations

Badger02

I've been mulling over getting a car lift for sometime, but have limited headroom of approx 2300mm.

For easier maintenance, but also to get my 4 toys in garage (photo attached shows my 3 toys but not my VW camper van)

Had more or less resigned myself to a 4 post due to the headroom restriction, but was concerned about how much space it would take up (I planned to install it in the middle bay).

Yesterday I spoke with a nice guy from twinbusch who said:

Only get a 4 post if you have plenty of space, otherwise get a 2 post. I said your shortest 2 post is 2320mm and I only have 2300mm. His reply, no problem we can take 100mm of the top of each post for an extra £100 but you will lose 100mm of lifting height.

He quoted me more or less £2700 for this model including vat, delivery, install and chopping 100mm of the top and could do it all by end of Feb.

I'd get some plastic sheeting to loosely put over the bottom car in case of any oil drips

Am sorely tempted now to press the button, but before I do was wondering if anyone had good or bad experiences with car lifts and elise cars they'd like to share.

Thanks

FB_IMG_1669413382117.jpg

Screenshot_20230214_061413_Chrome.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You said you’d got “approx 2300mm” headroom: are you sure that you couldn’t squeeze another 20mm in by eg: cutting into the plasterboard ceiling?  It seems a bit draconian to have a full 100mm cut off and loose that headroom below. 
Also if it were me I’d put it at one side rather in the centre to still keep a double-bay. 

Gav at Unit 4 uses a two post lift. It works fine provided you put the arms in the right place. 

I presume even with your slightly restricted ceiling you can still fit a car underneath?

I agree with Phil about putting it on the end bay.

Oh, and I'm not jealous at all.

Oh no.

I don't want a triple garage with a lift.

And two Lotuses. 

And bifold doors.

😅

Found this other lift that is only 2024mm height and a reasonable price too.

I'm in 2 minds whether to put the lift in one of the outer bays or middle bay, still need to work it all out in my head and a scrap of paper.

An elise is roughly 1150mm high with roof on.

The centre beam that goes sideways left to right in my garage is 2100mm floor to underside so approx 200mm lower than 2 elise with their roofs on, excluding any clearance between them.

The advantage of a 2 post instead of a 4 post is that with a 4 post you need more height for 2 cars because the top cars tyres are sitting on the ramps, with a 2 post you need less height because the lifting arms are actually under the car (hope that makes sense)

If it doesn't work with roofs on there are 2 options

1. Take both roofs off

2. The top car take roof of plus windows down and have the sideways garage beam sit between the windscreen top bar and the rear screen top bar

Anyway, this is for me to ponder and work out.

I really wanted to see what people's experiences of 2 post or 4 post lifts were and if they had any good or bad experiences with any particular companies.

Thanks880707186_Screenshot_20230214_104314_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.3a930424949d96cdedb9749bd7db37c3.jpg

Screenshot_20230214_113859_OneDrive.jpg

You will need to think it through very carefully if you will need the garage roof beam to pass inbetween the roll bar cover and windscreen. I imagine where the posts are sited will be critical. 

2 hours ago, DeanB said:

You will need to think it through very carefully if you will need the garage roof beam to pass inbetween the roll bar cover and windscreen. I imagine where the posts are sited will be critical. 

Yes, good points. Would position an elise in the right place so that the roof beam goes in between the 2 bars and then position the lift to suit

4 hours ago, MG4Lotus said:

Just a thought: When the top car is being lifted won't the wheels hang a bit lower than when the car is on the ground and the suspension is compressed by the weight of the car.

Yes, you are probably right

Just be aware that an Elise is the 'wrong way round' compared to a normal FWD car in terms of weight distribution. I always put them on the lift the opposite way round, ie with the engine over the short arms. It's also a good idea to use a ratchet strap to secure the front end of the car to the arms if your doing anything fairly physical on the car as they do tend be a bit back end heavy. Just as a an extra safety measure.

19 hours ago, Broadside said:

Just be aware that an Elise is the 'wrong way round' compared to a normal FWD car in terms of weight distribution. I always put them on the lift the opposite way round, ie with the engine over the short arms. It's also a good idea to use a ratchet strap to secure the front end of the car to the arms if your doing anything fairly physical on the car as they do tend be a bit back end heavy. Just as a an extra safety measure.

Thanks for the advice

Archived